Author Topic: Herreshoff Powerboat Sighted  (Read 894 times)

Renegade

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Herreshoff Powerboat Sighted
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
On the highway I take to and from work, a farmhouse was just torn down, revealing a Herreshoff of about 25' long. I thought it was a sailboat, but I stopped by to look at today, and I couldn't see anywhere for a mast to be installed. Granted, a wooden panel was covering where that hole would be, so I couldn't tell. The vessel has a large cabin taking up only the middle third of the boat, an the aft has room for 4 occupants. The stern is divided into three compartments, the middle being for an outboard motor, and a cutout through to the bottom for it, so the motor sits 'in' the boat, not on the stern.

I will try to take pictures tomorrow, but to see it, you'd swear it was a 12 1/2.

I was not aware of any Herreshoff powerboats. I thought all were sailboats.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Renegade

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herreshoff Powerboat Sighted
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Does this not look like a Herreshoff?

In the stern photo you can see the pass-through for the motor. I forgot to take a picture of that from underneath the boat.

I lost interest in the boat when I saw the motor accommodation, and didn't see a hole for a mast. I would expect the hole to be about 10" in front of the cabin on the bow. It could be on top of the cabin, but I can't see because of the wooden panel on top. I don't have a problem with a sailboat having a motor - I prefer it - but I see no evidence that this is a sailboat, even though it looks like one.

I have never seen a motor boat that looks like a Herreshoff, so this is a mystery to me. If anyone here knows about this boat, I'd like to learn more about it. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:55:15 AM by Renegade »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herreshoff Powerboat Sighted
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
Definitely a sailboat and looks like a Cape Dory 25 or one of the other Albergs not a Herreshoff. Looks like the deck and house are not original - probably uses a mast step of some sort rather then through the deck.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:55:54 AM by Adam »