Author Topic: questions about a mast for Bullseye  (Read 1116 times)

Tom P

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
questions about a mast for Bullseye
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:32 PM »
I am fixing up an old Bullseye. The boat does not have a mast or boom. I was thinking about making a wooden mast. On the HMM website is a picture of a "Herreshoff Bulls-eye 12 1/2" with a Marconi rig. I suppose the mast was wood. Does anybody have any info on the shape and dimensions of that mast?

Thanks,
Tom

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: questions about a mast for Bullseye
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
Is your Bullseye wood or Fiberglass (IE Cape Cod Shipbuilding)? If its Fiberglass (CCSB) its a different boat then the wood 12 1/2 "Bullseye" - it was a modified design by Sydney Herreshoff based on the 12 1/2. The Mast would have different specs. 

Tom P

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »
Adam, Thanks for the reply. The boat is a CCSB Bullseye. I am under the impression that the hull is the same as the wood 12 1/2 and the only difference is the deck and cuddy. The hole in the cuddy and step might have to be modified but it seems like the mast could just as well be wood as aluminum. The aluminum mast is an oval about 2 X 3 1/2 inches. Maybe a wood mast of the same shape and size would be sufficient. I have an 18'6" sloop-rigged Chesapeake crabbing skiff that has about the same sail area as the Bullseye's main and working jib and the mast is 3 1/2 inch diameter at the hounds. It is not stayed at all and has lasted for almost 30 years. Of course the crabbing skiff does not have a 750 lb hunk of lead down there but I have sailed on many a windy day with six adults on board.

I am hoping to find a used aluminum mast somewhere but if that does not pan out I need another option. A new mast would cost more than the boat will ever be worth and I have no intention of racing or using a spinnaker.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
The hull is the same design on the outside - on the inside it is very different. I believe the sole is much higher up on the CCSB bullseye version. IE a 12 1/2 mast would be longer. The 12's mast would also be much wider lower (the 12 the mast does not go through the deck but uses a mast partner). As you stated you also have the added issue of the mast step assembly being very different. Anything can be modified I suppose - but wood masts are harder to come by in serviceable condition and I would think less leeway structurally for modification. If it were me and I couldn't find the direct replacement used, and buying new was too much, I would get the exact dimensions from CCSB, and hit up a used boat parts market. Fosters in Quincy, MA for example usually has hundreds of masts that can be cut down....