Author Topic: 12 1/2 named Jamie  (Read 2394 times)

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
12 1/2 named Jamie
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
See http://dailyboats.com/boat/39237-herreshoff-12-for-sale: "Used Sail boat Herreshoff 12 for sale located in Annapolis,MD,United States, founded in 1981. The manufacturer of boat - Herreshoff. It`s overall length is 4.88 meters. Engine uses fuel. You can get it just for 19500 USD."

The information in the advertisement (built 1981, uses fuel) is strange.

What's even stranger is that one of the photos clearly shows a #1376 builder's plate.

That would be #1376s Minx which, as I just confirmed, is still owned by the Herreshoff Marine Museum, together with its builder's plate.

Does anyone know what this boat is?

DaveHub

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: 12 1/2 named Jamie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
There seems to be some confusion with this boat.  It seems that #1376 was not actually built, and that the number and plate were given to another boat.

See: http://www.herreshoff.info/Menu/index.htm?/Docs/S01376_Not_built.htm]http://www.herreshoff.info/Menu/index.htm?/Docs/S01376_Not_built.htm]http://www.herreshoff.info/Menu/index.htm?/Docs/S01376_Not_built.htm

Maybe the Museum knows more.  It's often the case that a lot more info is floating out there than can be found in the web sites.

Also, my own boat was built in '36, even though it has a later number.  And this boat shows a 1938 date.  Not totally uncommon, but if two years out of sync it raises questions about the original.  This might be a replica plate too.  Hard to tell.  Maybe the current owner knows the last few owners and names.  'Minx' was also not an uncommon name.

The database entry on this site shows some interesting details too.  Previous owners and such.

Dave
'Clara J'
"S" Boat hull # 1385

DaveHub

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
Oh, not to mention that HMC was certainly not building 12 1/2s in 1981!

:)

ReneLe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:01:39 AM »
Oh, not to mentions the Wealthy Affiliate that HMC was certainly not building 12 1/2s in 1981!

:)

I'm not really sure myself. It's definitely strange. I'll have a closer look when I catch some time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:19:26 AM by ReneLe »

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »
The Herreshoff Marine Museum does not know more about this boat (Jamie) other than that the builder's plate displayed in the advertisement for Jamie is identical (and I mean identical not duplicate) to the one attached to the Museum's own #1376s Minx. Which would imply that the Jamie advertisement features a builder's plate that does not belong to Jamie. Hence my original inquiry.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:40 PM »
Hmmm... Well it was the Brooks Family that owned Minx (ex TARGET as she was known then) for like 20 years before it was donated to the museum- IE Jon Brooks here on this site. That is the boat I grew up crewing on - and my first Herreshoff experience. My understanding is it was badly damaged in the Hurricane of '38 - and Sidney purchased it and had it rebuilt for the family use. There are a number of "different" things Sidney did to it at the time the separate her out from any other 12 I know. All her bronze fittings are all chrome plated, and I seem to remember she had an unusual tear-drop shaped mast for a 12, and used a wishboom on the jib. She was also remarkably fast - at least in capable hands. My understanding is the plate she has is one that was lying around the shop and added during the rebuild.

From Steve Nagy:
This boat was at the Herreshoff yard when damaged by the 1938 hurricane.  This is why the port-side coaming is pieced together - it was broken horizontally by the storm.  She was purchased by Becky Herreshoff and re-built by Sydney Herreshoff for sons Nathanael and Halsey to learn to sail in.  It has 2-piece seats and chromed bronze hardware.  It was donated to museum in 1981 by Owen E. Brooks.  This one is a real mystery, because the building record states that hull 1376 was not built.  However, it was part of the factory mixup where the actual assigned numbers did not match the records.  According to John Palmieri of the Herreshoff Museum, this is NOT the actual hull number of Minx.  He believes they found this plate lying around unused (as it would be if the corresponding hull was never built), and simply attached it to Minx, which was missing itís plate.

BTW - Jon will be sponsoring her restoration in the next couple of years. She was removed from the gift shop at the museum a year or so ago and is no longer on display.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
I took a look at that ad - I think that is a CCSB fiberglass build. There are no visible ribs - and that  photo of the transom looks fiberglass - as does the starboard side shot (no seams). The 1981 makes sense then. Not a doughdish as it has the full wood Stem - But CCSB Fiberglass boats have this.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »
Good thinking, Adam. That's probably what it is. Thanks for your thoughts. Amusing that the seller is putting the photo of Minx' builder's plate in. Misleading, too.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
I also think that pic of the builder plate is one that was either from the museum site - or one I took myself  - not sure but I do recognize it - in fact it may be posted somewhere on this site!