Author Topic: Queen Mab  (Read 22772 times)

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Queen Mab
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »
My name is Laurie Pringle....my father was Larry (Robert) Pringle.  My father owned the Queen Mab (78 ft Schooner) from 1954-early 1970's.  We were told that the Mab went down on a reef off Costa Rica.  I have seen some info that she is actually in Japan, and at some point in recent years was for sale.  Am trying to verify this info and see if it is the same yacht and where she might be today.  Would just like to know that someone has her and is caring or her.  It sounds like, if this is the same Queen Mab, also called the Vagrant, that she was in disrepair. 

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Mab
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
Originally called Vagrant, Queen Mab is indeed alive - and we hear not so well - in Japan. She was for sale just a few months back, but the ad is gone from Yacht World Classifieds (not sure she sold). We've heard she needs extensive repairs...Last owner I believe was the Winward Sailing Club in Japain:
http://www.sail-japan.info/site/modules/mxdirectory/visit.php?cid=22&lid=51

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »
Thanks Adam....I can't decide if this is good news or bad news.  My Dad adored that boat and I have many happy childhood memories aboard her.  I was telling my cousins that there is a picture of me at about 1 yr old (56 years ago).  My Dad had strapped my playpen to the table in the galley.  Since the table was on gimbles I stayed level and quite happy...... My Dad hated having to sell the Queen Mab, and it just about broke his heart when he heard that a couple of teenaged boys had wrecked her on a reef off Costa Rica.  I"ve always told my daughters that Grandpa is sailing around heaven on the Queen Mab.  I have a beautiful painting that hangs over my fireplace, and his sextant is on the mantle next to the painting.  Now to hear that she is in Japan and in disrepair....don't know how to feel.  Makes me feel sad.  If you know how I could find out any other information I would appreciate it.  Thanks,  Laurie

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
This is courtesy of member Charles Braclay:

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
As was already stated Queen Mab / Vagrant is still around. For photos how she recently looked go to:

http://schooner-vagrant.webs.com/

Note that the photos do not show her original interior, but the one put in from original plans between 1985 and 1987 under Peter de Savary ownership in English Harbor, St. John, Antigua. Likewise, her rig is  the one put in by Spencer Rigging during the same time, again from orginal Herreshoff plans.

Her ownership history is from Taglang, Jacques. Mariette & The Herreshoff Schooners. Eynesse, France, 2010, Vol. I, p. 431:

- 1910-May 1913: Harold Stirling Vanderbilt, from New York Vagrant. Home port and port of registry: New York
- May 1913-1920: Hendon Chubb from New York Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: New York
- 1921-1926: Nathaniel F. Ayer from Boston Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: Boston, Massachusetts
- 1926-1935: Horace Binney from Boston Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: Newport, R.I.
- 1936-1938: William A. W. Stewart from New York Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: New York
- 1939: Federal Insurance Company from New York Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: New York
- 1940-1946: Summer Pingree from South Hamilton Queen Mab. Home port: Marblehead. Port of registry: Salem, Massachusetts
- 1947: James B. Crockett from Malrose, Massachusetts Queen Mab. Home port: North Haven, Maine. Port of registry: Salem, Massachusetts
- 1948-1949: Glenn Myers from Los Angeles Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: Los Angeles
- 1950-1954: Stanley Runyan from San Marino, California Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: Los Angeles
- 1955-1978: Phyllis B. Brunson and Robert L. Pringle from Los Angeles Queen Mab. Home port and port of registry: Los Angeles
- 1979-1984: Hans Lammers from Netherlands Vagrant. Home port: Caribbean (?)
- 1984-1991: Peter de Savary from Great Britain Vagrant. Home port: (?)
- 1992 until now: Windward Ocean Club, Osaka, Japan Vagrant. Home port: Osaka, Japan

It sure would be nice to see photos from when she was owned by Robert L. Pringle.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
HH - Isn't that one "Big" Vagrant (1913) vs Little Vagrant (1910) ? I think she is talking about "little" Vagrant (1910) - both owned by Vanderbilt.

Take it back - they list both Vagrants as available for charter- They are using 106' which put me off - yep that is her name now...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by Adam »

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Yes, there were two Vagrants. The first one, composite built, was #698s, ordered on March 23, 1910 and launched on June 15, 1910 after an incredibly short building time of only 84 days. The second one, steel, was #719s, ordered November 2, 1912 and launched May 17, 1912. Both were built for Harold Vanderbilt.

No, I do not think that both Vagrant's are/were for charter. The big one has been privately owned for decades in the Med and as far as I am aware was never for charter.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »
I saw both listed on Charter World...Here is the one in the Med:

http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=vagrant-5124

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
WOW!!!! Many of those pictures are quite shocking!!! How could they let her get in such disrepair?? In her current state she does not appear to be seaworthy.  It would be hard to get her moved.  Wish I was wealthy.....I'd do what I could to bring her home.  But all I can do is hope that someone will buy her and restore her to glory.  I have lot's of pictures....I will get them out in the next few days.....how do I post them???
Laurie

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
I wonder if that charter ad for the big Vagrant is for real. It does correctly note that Vagrant has no helicopter landing pad. Would be nice to see some photos. And also lend some credibility to the ad.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
Laurie:  There are instructions for posting images in the "Forum Guidelines" Board.  Or, if you wish, you can email them to info@herreshoffregistry.org and I will post them for you.

Thanks.

-Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
WHAT!? no Helicopter landing pad? What next - cats and dogs getting along  8) ?

comodorebill

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
L. Pringle...come back to:  billywill2011@hotmail.com ....
have looked for "Q.M." information for years....I am Bill 66, was vice Cmdr. SLBYC in Nov.66 when I crewed with "Larry" on the Mazatlan race 1966..both racing and return with Larry and Carin......later as Comodore I again sailed with Larry on the 1967 transpac...all aboard the Queen Mab....

[howevder I remember her lengh quoted as 89' on deck]  Have tried to get pictures of her [Q.M.] for years as I had no camera when sailing aboard.  A good pard of the time helmsman.  Your GrandFather ? ..a wonderful man and "Yachtsman". Regretfully I had not heard of his passing.

Would love a "Mab" picture.  Pictures on this site make you sick in her condition ..

comodorebill

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:12:27 AM »
Forgot to enter the following at first message;

Laurie...the site pictures here look much like the Queen, but the interior must have had a major re-do...I had the Upper, port side berth to Mazatlan & Hawaii but it is not there now..??..could be removed I admit.  The Stbd guest starteroom look as I remember however...also do not remember a "window" port ? at the forward end of the cockpit weather house...it just does not look right.

Would love to talk with you sometime, Bill Moran billywill2011@hotmail.com, Coachella valley Ca.

nayeligk

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »
Hi Laurie,

My father owned the "Queen Mab" in the 70s with a society called "Oceana" and we kept her in San Diego...  I had heard she sunk as well. I heard this from my sailing instructor in Los Angeles in 1989. My dad passed away shortly after seeing this thread... he was so excited to hear she had not sunk and had planned on responding. I'm looking through an old folder of papers he kept... it looks like he bought the Queen Mab in 1975 from your father!!

Looking through the papers I see the following:

Yacht Name: Queen Mab, Ex: "Vagrant"
Length: 77', LWL: 58.9'
Designer: Nathaniel Herreshoff
Builder: Herreshoff Mfg. Co.
Bristol, Rhode Island
Year: 1910

And then... a Report of Survey, which lists "Robert L. Pringle" with an address in Hollywood, CA as the owner! The survey was requested by Bob Romberger in 1975.

I believe we have still have the Queen Mab's binnacle. I have to ask my mom about this! I have pictures of us on the Queen Mab as well. What a beauty!! My father eventually had to sell it as well, and was also heartbroken about it. I don't know all the details... There is a card, though, from a Rose and Jeremiah Sullivan in the file, and it says "Still living on the 'Queen' and enjoying her beauty... come visit in Pelican Harbor"...

It is so heartbreaking to have to sell a treasured boat. We're facing this now with my dad's Catalina 36. Not nearly the beauty of the Queen Mab, of course, but she was my dad's latest love.