Author Topic: Marlin?  (Read 58474 times)

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
This is a fascinating thread. 

HH would you know if the Herreshoff Museum has the manufacturing records or would MIT's Hart Nautical Collection? 

For some crazy reason, the thought of digging through the manufacturing records intrigues me on a couple of levels.  The first is the idea of gleaning any evidence that suggests how much of the HMCo genes this late build Marlin might have in her, secondly, confirming the story the owner relayed about a late production, almost a bootleg copy, after the shop officially closed. 

Another vessel that has me interested in the late build concept, ie. what was built after the line ceased, is the last FI 31 that went to future America's Cup skipper Bob Bavier.  It's listed in the book.  But where is it? 

Which leads me to another question, I suppose for even another thread, and that is the efficacy of the Herreshoff Manufacturing methods.  We have some clues of substantial prowess.  The Mystic Seaport book from 1976 on the Columbia dinghy showed about 130 man hours on the build of the dinghy, along with a materials list.  How does that compare to today's schools of wooden boat building, or a pro, for that matter.  LFH famously noted that HMCo existed back when "there was a time when men knew what to do and they did it", so different from today when it's becoming difficult to even find shop teachers in your local high school let alone real manfucaturing work without robotics.  There is little question that the efficacy declined after NGH retired, as did the marketing prowess after JBH died.  The intriguing questions for me are why, how much, what specific areas, and to what magnitude?  The Haffenreffer's were no slouches in business.  Is there a model here for other manufacturing decline?

Musing's on a late winter morning. 

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin?
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »
It's interesting to note that both Josh Howard and Maynard Bray could tell right away that the Warren boat was not an original. So maybe she wasn't as close as "She is almost a Herreshoff" infers?

Like HH says we have 4 marlin built and 6 boats known.... Who built the 5th and which one is the imposter?