Author Topic: Buzzards Bay 18  (Read 39377 times)

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzards Bay 18
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:59 PM »
Alec didn't mention whether or not he increased the draft as suggested in his post and had been done for Flicker?  This is a beautiful boat, right for so many uses.  It would be nice to see more about it.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
No ... but I would expect that he will have a more thorough treatment in one of his upcoming newsletters.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »
OK that is cool - amazing the strength of carbon fiber. Even with the side stays back a foot as Charles noted I still couldn't see that rig staying put with that sail area.... In a blow that thing must be a rocket.

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »
Alison Langley slide show of Artisan Boatworks' BB 18: http://vimeo.com

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:14:52 AM »
The new BB 18 is moored near here:

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Just an update to the Video link:

http://vimeo.com/47196215

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
Notice at the beginning it says for "Presentation to the Camden Yacht Club". 

Other than the NYYC every generation so collaborating with a designer/builder to create a new class such as the Swan NY42 or the Peterson designed NA40's, have you heard of any other clubs recently making the pitch for several one designs tailored to their members desire in the recent past?

This BB18 has been on Artisan Boatworks for some time as a model they wished to build.  Now that it is done, and she's a beauty, carbon rig included, the asking price is $250,000 (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2461942&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=herreshoff&&ywo=herreshoff&. ).  The originals were $1,333 at the end of 1903.

One of the secrets of success of HMCo was the multiple classes of one designs and the cost savings created by making a series.  The 1903 NY 30's are an obvious example 18 of them, fully equipped, $4,000.  The 1902 Bar harbor 31's $4,960, one of kind Bambino 30' waterline $5,500.  Other examples show the cost savings of the multiple boat orders. 

We often focus on the beauty of the designs of HMCo, but there was also magic in the marketing of JB, and the sales of several models to multiple yacht clubs over time with some modifications such as done to the BB12 1/2 and the BB15's. 

I hope Artisan can duplicate this with their presentation to Camden YC.

Comments? 

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Good point - Not sure if HMCo. "Invented" this sort of small one design type of design/building - but it was very commonplace for designers to do this in the first half of the 20th century. One design classes turned over so fast what was in today was out tomorrow. Certainly HMCo. by being both designer and builder had an advantage. Seems less-so today of course as costs would be rather prohibitive.  Todays clubs can put together a one design fleet just by buying plastic off the shelf - no need for a designer to design something special for your club - and builders do have volume discounts. From Opti's to Doughdish to J-24's, most of today's clubs are all about national/international one designs fleets.

Personally I'd rather less one designs and more designs to specific (or not) rules - IE Handicap. I think it allows Designers to be more, say, artistic and creative. But less money in something like that I guess.

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
As one-designs come and go, but there is a timelessness to the wood vessel that is cherished.  Preaching to the choir here.  In my job I see many boats go to the trash heap or crusher, as I think about it, there is a certain combination of design & build quality and family or owner use that causes some vessels to be passed down the generations and maintained throughout rather than be rebuilt.  In some cases, like the BB15 and BB18 discussed here--one hundred years after their original production an artisan, master boat builder, recreates the boat from the original plans.  Do you really think someone will do that with a J/24?

The J/24's are the most popular keel boat ever--5300 plus built, new ones still being built in 4 countries with a vast worldwide middle class to buy them--different economic conditions than in HMCo's time. 

Last year at US Sailing's symposium in Chicago they posited that sailing congregates around the Club's.  And while Adam rightly asserts that any club can and do go and purchase the plastic (FRG) from the manufacturer (my club joined with our neighbor across the canal to buy 12 El Toro's recently at $4500 a piece) one wonders when the clubs will choose timeless designs and quality that will persist over that which is cheap.  That gets to the heart of my question, are you familiar with any clubs choosing quality, timeless designs?

The BB 18 looks like one in need of a few sponsors. 

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 05:50:04 AM »
Well there are a number of clubs that do "timeless designs" - at least in a limited fashion - there are many clubs with fleets of Beetle cats, at least 5 clubs with12 1/2/Doughdish fleets, Wianno has its seniors, my own club has its Narrasketucks....so it does happen. I'd say most of the examples are clubs that have a steeped tradition in a classic class - thus keeping it going. I think it would be a lot more difficult to convince a typical club to pick up classic design - but not impossible. We live in a disposable society, get sick of that cheap j/24 or El Toro, on to the next hot plastic fantastic.  :(

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »
Wow , she handles with such ease. it appeared as it floated on a cloud

Robert