Author Topic: Buzzards Bay 18  (Read 39053 times)

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Buzzards Bay 18
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
I am looking for information and particularly historic photos of Buzzards Bay 18s. Five were built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company in the winter of 1903/1904: #612s Wizard, #613s Margaret, #614s Hindoo, #615s Jap, and #620s Wanderer. The first four were ordered by R. W. Emmons, the last was built on speculation and subsequently sold. Hart Nautical Collections has eight plans for them and the Herreshoff Marine Museum has its model (No. 710), labeled: "Buzzards Bay 18' Dec. 1903 612-13-14-15."

The Herreshoff Marine Museum Chronicle wrote about them in 1994: "They looked for all the world like an enlarged 15 footer but were 29 feet overall, 8 feet 1 inch beam, draft 3 feet without centerboard, outside fixed ballast 2,000 pounds, 470 square feet sail area."

Who can add more information?

Thanks!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzards Bay 18
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »
Well I can add a picture  :)

I assume you have these but....

I also note that at last years Symposium :

“I Boats, The 18-Footers: Variation within the Rules,” by Philip Mallard was a description of the history, construction and rule variations of the 18-foot waterline boats that raced as a class from the late 19th to mid-20th centuries.

And Judith Westlund Rosbe's books "Maritime Marion" and "History of the Beverly YC" mentions them. She's the historian for the Beverly so I'd bet if anyone had photo's or records it would be her....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:36:48 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
I would add that if you select "Buzzards Bay 18" to search the registry, you will see that none of the 5 have been found.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the pointers to the Buzzards Bay 18!

Kathy Bray's image is the only one I am currently aware of.

Besides mentioning the 18s, does Judith Rosbe also describe them? Does anyone have a contact for Ms. Rosbe?

The Philip Mallard presentation or essay might be interesting. Do you have access to it?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:55 AM »
Ms. Rosbe is a resident of Marion, MA and the historian of the Beverly Yacht Club.  I don't have a contact, but some creative googling may turn up something.  I don't know of the Phillip Mallard you refer to.

-Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:09:33 AM »
Mallard's paper was at last years HMM SNARK Symposium... And no I found it mentioned on the SNARK site - but not the paper. I'd bet the HMM would have it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:21:08 AM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
SNARK site ??

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
I meant SNAME.....Told you I needed coffee....

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
Again, I'm interested because these, too are the same design family as the 15. I have Judy Rosbe's book and
know her slightly. I know the BYC has other photos that probably haven't been seen by many people. I will
talk to her and see if she knows anything further about both the BB18 and the BB21

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »
Artisan Boatworks has the dimensions posted at http://www.artisanboatworks.com/classic-designs/sailboats/buzzards-bay-18

Also, Alec Brainerd of Artisan Boatworks believes none survived, he writes at OffCenterHarbor.com (http://www.offcenterharbor.com/2011/01/07/the-three-boats-i-lust-after-and-why-3/) the following:

The Buzzards Bay 18 is yet another design, of which no original example survives.  Herreshoff designed the 18 in 1903, just a few years after the Buzzards Bay 15.  She is 29’ on deck, 18’ on the waterline, displaces 4430 lbs, and has 472 square feet of sail.   Like the Belfast Lough One Design, the Buzzards Bay 18 captures the spirit of the “big boats” in a captivating way.  She would be a good intermediate boat between the Buzzards Bay 15 and larger Buzzards Bay 25, and I would be tempted to lower the ballast keel and eliminate the centerboard in the same way Herreshoff did with the Buzzards Bay 15 when designing Flicker.

The Buzzards Bay 18 is one of the smallest designs of this type having a cabin large enough for occasional overnight use, and adequate displacement for a diesel or electric auxiliary.  She is similar in size and shape to Sparkman & Stephens Dark Harbor 20, but her increased beam adds considerably to the available interior and cockpit space.

To me, the Buzzards Bay 18 is one of the most beautiful of all the Herreshoff designs, and she intrigues me because here is an opportunity to reintroduce something that has been long forgotten.  I’m not even aware of any photos of original Buzzards Bay 18’s.  To build a new replica of Herreshoff’s Buzzards Bay 18 would be a truly noble endeavor, and create a boat with lasting value to both the classic yachting community, and to those who revere the Herreshoff legacy.

If you have not visited OffCenterHarbor.com its a treasure--this came from an early blog topic on "Boats I lust after".  Lin and Larry Pardey just weighed in on their choices. --two popular NGH designs. 

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
Here are the first photos of Alec's new BB18.  You may need to be logged into to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.339002869516469.78880.291688557581234&type=1

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
First she's gorgeous.... second - Question - I would expect her rig is similar to the BB25 - and when I look at Kathy Bray's drawings for both I see a Sliding or adjustable side stay for both. When I look at Alec's photo's I don’t see that (but I do see them on the BB25). Am I missing it?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
I guess your are referring to the running backstays?  I know my BB15 had 'em, and I am pretty sure the BB25s did as well.  I have neve seen a BB18 before, but I would guess that the originals, with the long overhang of the boom, probably had them as well.  Alec may have had the rig re-designed a little for ease of handling.  I'll ask him when I get the chance.

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
Look at picture #7, the shrouds are at least a foot aft of the mast and in the Bray painting.  Stainless shrouds and spreaders are evident, my guess is the shroud attachment point has been moved aft enough to support the rig without the runners. 

Of course the Bray painting might have had the shrouds placed differently than the plans.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
From Alec:

Hi Steve,

Carbon mast, faux painted.  Same diameter and taper as original. 3 times the strength!  So, the rig is exactly as designed in every respect, just no need for runners. 

Alec E. Brainerd
Artisan Boatworks
Rockport, Maine