Author Topic: New S Class Book....?  (Read 9523 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
New S Class Book....?
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »
Tom Javor told me the Rumor is that the Narragansett Bay S Class Book (1994) is being re-done for this years 90th...They are actively searching for info. Sean - have you heard anything?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: New S Class Book....?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »
Wow ... I hope this turns out to be true.  I will be glad to provide what we have in the Registry in any format they would like.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
Turns out it is true.  Can't wait.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:43:06 AM »
 ;D

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:41:34 AM »
Speaking of Herreshoff class books....I'm searching for another similar book called "History of the Thirties" by Gherardi Davis. Have you ever read this one Steve? Davis was the owner of  NY30 #632 Tobasco (Alice). He was a prolific writer about his cruises with "Alice"  - but most of his books all seem to be self published and very limited edition. I wonder if the HMM has this one? Guess I should e-mail Norene....

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
No, I have never heard of it.  But it sounds like the search is on!

I checked the Museum catalog.  The only book they have by Gherardi Davis is: Decisions and rulings by the Regatta Committee and the Race Committee of the New York Yacht Club, 1849 to 1923
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:05:42 AM by steve »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »
I Know the NYYC has one in their archives - Parkinson makes reference to it. Howland does not though. How did you look up what HMM has? I don't see that function on the web site anymore? - It used to be there I know.

BTW there are at least 4 "Alice" books (why do I picture Bob Hope and Bing Crosby here) - last one written about 1937 I believe. I think he died around 1940 but don't quote me... I'm not sure they are all the same "Alice" (IE the NY30) as I see references to Davis racing a "Q" boat also named Alice - and by this time I believe Hoyt owned Alice. I see references to these books as "Privately Printed for Christmas 1924"; "...1937", etc. - with no more then 75 copies of each. For such rare books they donít sell for huge money - around 150.00 or so on average and thatís from dealers.

I endeavor to search.... ;)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »
Ah, the new website.  The library page "lost" the link the the Registry  :-[.  Anyway, enter the Museum, and the splash page has a link to the Library on the left.  Go there, and there is a link to the catalog in the first line of the second paragraph of text.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
The Gherardi Davis NY30 history is called "History of the New York Yacht Club Thirty Foot Class." It's not a book and for this reason not listed in Howland or Toy. It is a typewritten manuscript with a few photographs and four plans. I guess the only copy is at NYYC.

There are two good histories of the NY30s. One was published in the January 1925 issue of Yachting by Seabury Lawrence, "The New York Thirties. An Interesting Sketch of America's Most Famous One-Design Class", the other in 1928 by Edwin Schoettle as a chapter "The New York Thirties" in his book "Sailing Craft." Both contain very detailed provenance histories up to the respective dates of publication.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »
Excellent - Thank you HH - which explains why I could not find it anywhere with his other books!

The Schoettle book I know. The article in Yachting however is new to me....

Dustin

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
Any word on whether or not the "History and Register of the S Class" was republished? I was trying to get my hands on the '94 version, but may seek out the new edition if it is available.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »
Hi Dustin.  Welcome.  I don't believe it has been published, and I haven't heard anything more in quite some time.  Anyone else ?

Dustin

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
I've been in contact with Ken Upham who did the '94 version. We've been sending info back and forth and he says that he is constantly updating the project. So, while I don't think he has a definite plan to republish, he seems to be working in that direction. We'll see.