Author Topic: Queen Mab/Vagrant  (Read 10900 times)

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Queen Mab/Vagrant
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Hi....It's been a couple of years since I last posted on here.  A reminder....My name is Laurie Pringle.  My Dad, Larry Pringle owned the Queen Mab/Vagrant from 1955-1978.  Two years ago members here helped me locate the schooner in Japan....there was also a link to some very devastating pictures of her showing the extent of her disrepair.  A friend was asking about her and I tried to open that link, but have been unable to.
Does anyone know if she is still in Japan and what her present condition is?
Laurie

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Mab/Vagrant
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:03 PM »
As far as I know she's still there....

http://schooner-vagrant.webs.com/

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
Thanks, Adam.  I can't get the link to open...don't know if it's my computer or if the link is no longer active??
Laurie

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
Laurie:  The link works for me, so it must be an issue with your computer.  The images there are from several years ago.  To the best of my knowledge, she is still in Japan.

lapringle

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
I got the images to open today.  Guess it was a computer glitch yesterday.  sure wish I could get her out of Japan and home where she would be loved and belongs.

comodorebill

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
the site for Vagrant has a FROZEN note... WONT OPEN
as I remember the last picture of Vagrant .. she is shown with a Gaff-Rig..... Queen Mab is /or was a Stay-sail Schooner, I sailed over 10,000 miles aboard...was starting helmsman on both the Mazatlan 66 and Transpac 67 no gaff then.
I don't believe Vagrant was ever the Queen....
Bill Moran staff Commodore... SLBYC ..

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »
She was Vagrant when commissioned (1910) by Harold Vanderbilt, then named Queen Mab by her second owner Hindon Chubb in 1913. 

This is reasonably well documented.  Including in the Hawaiian Sportsman article by Commodore "Bud" Thompson in his 1951 article "Along the T Pier" regarding Queen Mab's redirect to Hawaii during the Korean War.  Bud passed away last year.  If you pm me, I'll forward the article.   

comodorebill

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
On a second look it looks as if the fore-sail on Vagrant is Gaff.  Now I do not see a Gaff main.
However she would have been a complete re-rig since Mab. Mab's main mast spreaders are only at the 2nd batten of the main which is 1/2 way up the fore.  Vagrant lower spreaders are at the level of the head of the fore.
Also rat-lines were never on Mab's main-mast stays.
No, I'm convinced [as much as I would like to have Queen Mab among us] the Vagrant IS NOT the Queen. UNLESS she has had a total new layout below deck and a complete re-rig... I doubt that.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
#698s Vagrant was built in 1910 for Harold Vanderbilt. In early 1914 he sold her to Hendon Chubb after the second "big" Vagrant (#719s) had been built for him in 1913. Chubb renamed her Queen Mab and raced her very successfully, winning the Astor Cup in 1915. He kept her for only a few years before he sold her to Reginald C. Robbins of Marblehead, who in 1921 sold her on to Nathaniel P. Ayer of Boston. During the winter of 1921/22 she was converted to a staysail schooner by HMCo, becoming what L. Francis Herreshoff believed to have been the first American schooner with track and slides on the luff of her mainsail. Horace Binney became her new owner in 1926 and kept her until 1936 when she was sold W. A. W. Stewart who had just become commodore of the N.Y.Y. C. Under Stewart's ownership she won the Astor Cup twice, in 1936 and 1937, and the Commodore's Cup in 1938. After that Queen Mab quickly went through several owners, including the Federal Insurance Company in 1939, Summer Pingree in 1941, and James B. Crockett in 1947. In 1947 she was bought by Glenn Myers of Los Angeles and was moved to the West Coast. From 1950 to 1954 she was owned by Stanley Runyan, still homeported in L.A. Then came the long period of 21 years of ownership by Phyllis B. Brunson and Robert L Pringle that has been alluded to above. During these years Queen Mab was raced a lot, including nine consecutive Los Angeles to Honolulu Transpac races. By the late 1970s Queen Mab was doing charter work in the Carribean. There she was "discovered" by the Dutchman Hans Lammers, who acquired her in 1976 and gave her back her old name Vagrant. She continued to charter but lost both her masts in a severe gust in 1984 when she was bought by British America's Cup challenger Peter de Savary who, over the course of two years, had her restored in Antigua back to gaff rig (done by Spencer Rigging of West Cowes, Isle of Wight). De Savary brought her to Europe and kept her until 1991 when she was acquired by her current Japanese owners.

I hope this answers some of the above questions.

Anyone interested in Herreshoff schooners should try to at least get a look at Taglang, Jacques. Mariette and the Herreshoff Schooners. Two vols. Eynesse, 2010. It's really good!

Alex

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:07:19 AM »
During the late 1960's and 1970's, we kept our boat at the Kona Kai Club in San Diego.  My friend's father, George Dixon, managed and skippered the Mab for several years.  It was my understanding the Queen Mab was owned by a Mexican syndicate at that time (early to mid 1970's).  This has not been mentioned in the chain of title spelled out in prior posts. Wondering is anyone one has any additional information regarding this period in the Mab's history.  Dennis Conner is located here in SD and I have contemplated contacting him to see if there might be some interest in retrieving her from Japan and bringing her home.  Just a thought.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Well The dates and ownership's are pretty complete and I don't see any Mexican Syndicates - but it's not to say there wasn't a partnership of some sort - and there is some discrepancy in the late 70's as to when Pringle/Brunson sold her Lammers - so there is a small 3 year window.

With that said it's doubtful anyone here would be against you and/or Mr. Connor's from contacting and saving Vagrant  ;) .

Harold S. Vanderbilt      1910 - 1913        
Hendon Chubb       1913 - 1919      
R. C. Robbins              1919 - 1921
N. F. Ayers              1921 - 1926   
William A.W. Stewart  1936 - 1938   
Federal Ins. Co. of NY 1938 - 1940   
James B. Crockett      1946 - 1948   
Glenn Myers              1948 - 1950   
Stanley Runyan      1950 - 1954   
Robert Pringle              1954 - 1978   
Hans Lammers              1979 - 1985   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:31:38 PM by Adam »

nayeligk

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
Late to this thread, but yes, there is information missing from the list of owners! My father owned the Queen Mab briefly, not for a Mexican syndicate, but as part of an ocean research organization named Oceana. It was short-lived, but there was a plan to explore the Pacific coast of Mexico and collaborate with the University of California's Scripps Institution of Oceanography. I'm attaching a letter I just found looking through my father's files. I have more!

Nayeli

During the late 1960's and 1970's, we kept our boat at the Kona Kai Club in San Diego.  My friend's father, George Dixon, managed and skippered the Mab for several years.  It was my understanding the Queen Mab was owned by a Mexican syndicate at that time (early to mid 1970's).  This has not been mentioned in the chain of title spelled out in prior posts. Wondering is anyone one has any additional information regarding this period in the Mab's history.  Dennis Conner is located here in SD and I have contemplated contacting him to see if there might be some interest in retrieving her from Japan and bringing her home.  Just a thought.

nayeligk

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »
Purchased by Julio Garci-Crespo for Grupo Oceana A.C. on March 11, 1975 for $100,000. I'm unsure of the date Oceana sold it to the next owner, but I believe it was 1978 or 1979. There's a card in my father's files from Rose and Jeremiah Sullivan saying "still living on the 'Queen' and enjoying her beauty" saying they are spending Christmas in Pelican Harbor.

Attaching top half of Offer to Purchase. I also have copies of the checks and notary's receipt of payment and surveys.

Well The dates and ownership's are pretty complete and I don't see any Mexican Syndicates - but it's not to say there wasn't a partnership of some sort - and there is some discrepancy in the late 70's as to when Pringle/Brunson sold her Lammers - so there is a small 3 year window.

With that said it's doubtful anyone here would be against you and/or Mr. Connor's from contacting and saving Vagrant  ;) .

Harold S. Vanderbilt      1910 - 1913        
Hendon Chubb       1913 - 1919      
R. C. Robbins              1919 - 1921
N. F. Ayers              1921 - 1926   
William A.W. Stewart  1936 - 1938   
Federal Ins. Co. of NY 1938 - 1940   
James B. Crockett      1946 - 1948   
Glenn Myers              1948 - 1950   
Stanley Runyan      1950 - 1954   
Robert Pringle              1954 - 1978   
Hans Lammers              1979 - 1985

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Fascinating! Thank you for posting this!