Author Topic: Lucky Pierre's #966 Structural Restoration Complete Feb, 2017  (Read 10179 times)

BRIANLEMMON

  • Guest
Lucky Pierre's #966 Structural Restoration Complete Feb, 2017
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:33:29 AM »
Dear Brian,

here comes another (and probably last) update on LUCKY PIERRE! Even though your timeline has changed some we have finished the work on LUCKY PIERRE to the original goal of “end of January” - once we started under that original timeline there was no good and efficient way of stretching it…

Right after the last report in mid December and our consequent meeting we tackled the worm damage to the keel: Seven floor timbers had to come out of the boat to make room for a long spanning heavy inner keelson to add strength back to this area. The two heavy floor timbers under the mast step were replaced, the other five timbers were adapted over the new keelson. On the outside we planed back the worm damaged area and cut a scarf joint into the keel as far aft as possible - a fresh piece of white oak was then scarfed into place. The fairing piece which then connects the keel into the ballast was laminated in place to provide proper landing for new floor timber bolts. We fabricated seven new bolts (all previous holes in the original keel plank were bunged up before) and installed the new bolts now connecting the floors thru the keelson, thru the keel, thru the new outer portion of the keel and into the fairing - probably the most rigid section of the whole keel. But it has to hold and distribute all load from the rig… Some provisions had to be made to allow water to properly flow by the keelson as the frames to keelson by design created small forward pockets which would otherwise allow water to puddle there and create rot. We filled the pockets to allow all water to properly drain thru limber holes on top of the keelson.

The connection from the bulkhead to the new floor timer has been replaced as well.

In parallel we continued with the construction of a new rudder. We took a closer look at another Lawley S-Boat to see how that boat had the rudder connected to the post - and found it similar to LUCKY PIERRE. As this hardware arrangement was not solid and did not provide the amount of guidance we like to see on a rudder we designed a new set-up by furnishing a Herreshoff gudgeon in such a way that it can take a pintle for proper alignment. We then modified the existing rudder stock to add a bottom pintle. This arrangement is working very well and secures the rudder in all directions. It also allowed to have the hardware in new locations on the rudder post and therefore not having to deal with some worn out areas. The design also allows the rudder blade to be taken off for maintenance without having to lift the boat - the rudder includes nifty inside G10 tubes and threaded inserts.

The rudder was test-fitted, we then also replaced the aft fairing piece between the rudder and the keel to minimize turbulence. We also added a small protective guard at the bottom of the post / ballast to prevent lobster pots from getting caught between the boat and the rudder (we' all been there…). The rudder was properly barrier coated, painted and installed.

Based on our conversations in December we then “fixed” the deck: to “buy” a little bit of time and without the option (at this point) to replace the deck we cleaned and routed out several areas of the deck, filled them with G-flex and layed some fiber glass over it (in epoxy). After cure this all got faired in, the whole deck got sanded and prepped and received fresh deck paint with proper thread granulate - as specified we used the color Alerion green (tamed to 50%). At this time we also noticed that the track for the running backstays was not securely fastened anymore - we removed the forward portion on both sides, doweled all holes and changed the fastening schedule to proper sized 1/4” machine screws at 3” length.

As mentioned in an earlier e-mail we ran into a section of deadwood with some deep rot pockets when we were fairing the bottom. As discussed and shown during one of your visits we cut out as much and as deep as possible (without dropping the ballast) and fitted in a fresh piece of wood after soaking the inside with thinned out epoxy. Finally the garboard was caulked and paid traditionally on both edges and the seam was sealed with LifeCaulk.

Eventually - after several rounds of fairing and filling - it was time for fresh paint. The topsides received two coats of primer followed by three coats of topside paint (Maynard Bray off-white semi gloss), the bottom received three coats of green bottom paint. After the cure we moved LUCKY PIERRE onto a storage cradle which allows us to move her around the shop and place her in a safe place until spring.

Some “bits & bobs” were taken care of (new fastening for freshly varnished tiller, new backing blocks for jib traveler, all new wiring and hose for a new bilge pump and switch, addition of a siphon break before the thru hull fitting etc…) and earlier this week we filled the inside of LUCKY PIERRE with water! Not so much to test if her planking is water-tight (we know it is!) but more to allow the deadwood to swell up again around the keel bolts. The water is only coming out very slowly and it is only coming out via the deadwood - as expected. LUCKY PIERRE will be a very dry boat…

As always I have attached some pictures.

Best,

Jens



Baltic Boat Works, LLC
55 Carroll Ave
Newport, RI 02840

Adam

  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1380
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky Pierre's #966 Structural Restoration Complete Feb, 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
Boy she looks pretty.....Nice job.