Author Topic: Herreshoff "Pearl"  (Read 8851 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Herreshoff "Pearl"
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:52:56 AM »
This is interesting - we don't talk about original Herreshoff motor boats much... Anyone know about her? Could be historically significant. I don't know much about the Herreshoff motor boat numbering but that plate seems to be the range of the QA boat numbers - which brings up a number of questions...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1930/Herreshoff-Unknown-3042737/Unknown/United-States?utm_campaign=em_pbs_yw#.WHBIJes8KrU

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herreshoff "Pearl"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:18:54 AM »
I showed that link to Maynard Bray (Herreshoff expert bar none) and he suggests it isn't an original Herreshoff not only because the number is way off but because the frames are riveted.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herreshoff "Pearl"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:01 AM »
I am quite certain that the builder's plate #2032 that is attached to that boat is an original Herreshoff builder's plate. The number strongly suggests that it was for one of the Quincy Adams-built 12 1/2s from between 1943 and 1948.

Which is not to mean that the boat in the advertisement was built or designed by Herreshoff. There is nothing in those photos which suggests that boat to be a Herreshoff.

Which probably means the builder's plate has simply found a new home on another boat.