Author Topic: Advice on Herreshoff windlass  (Read 11748 times)

Harefieldmike

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Advice on Herreshoff windlass
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:14 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Mike and I live in England, I recently bought an old bronze windlass from an antiques shop. I was planning to restore it back to its former glory, and while cleaning it saw that it had the name Herreshoff cast into the base. After doing a bit of research I realised this was a famous American boat builder! Unfortunately, the central shaft of the windlass is missing along with the ratchet spring - I am planning to make a replacement shaft on my lathe but have no idea how the ratchet spring fits or what it looks like. Is there anyone out there who is able to supply me with details of the missing components so I can replace what is missing?

Unfortunately I'm a bit hopeless with computers so don't now how to add a photo of what I've got but it looks identical to this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46948660@N03/4307603099/

I'm also missing he mushroom looking button shown in the rear of this photo to the top of the windlass - can anyone tell me what that is supposed to do?

Many thanks Mike

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:50:40 PM by Harefieldmike »

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Herreshoff windlass
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:19 AM »
Hi Mike,

Sounds like a call is needed to MIT Curator Kurt Hasselbach.  The drawings are most likely archived.  You might also find someone conducting a restoration willing to purchase it from you. 

interesting find. 

Harefieldmike

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
Charles, many thanks for the prompt reply, I shall follow up your lead.

Regards

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:51:41 PM by Harefieldmike »

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
What a nice find! Congratulations!

The photo which Mike referenced shows Nellie's capstan. Nellie was designed with a geared capstan for rope and for 5/16" and 3/8" chain. That's a standard capstan that was used on many Herreshoff yachts, both power and sail and including the Buzzards Bay 30s and the Bar Harbor 31s. It's a design from the late 1890s that was used until well into the 1930s.

The drawing number for this capstan is 112-43. Several versions of this drawing exist, dating from 1897 to 1939. The correct crank for this capstan is shown on drawing 112-58. These are the two drawings you'd have to obtain from M.I.T.

I find it intriguing that Neith, which was sailed over to England in 1921 and was owned there until she sailed back to the U.S. in 1970 had this type of winch. I assume the winch she has today is the original one, but it would be interesting to find out...

Harefieldmike

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Hi everyone,  from the last reply, and thank you for that, It seems the stock photo I used may be misleading, as although it looks the same style,  the actual capstan I have stands 14" high and I would guess the rope would be thinker than 5/16 and the chain drive at the base looks to be for quite a substantial chain. What I will do when my lad is back tues I,ll  get him to post a photo of the actual item. As although I love all things vintage marine, that love doesn't extend to computers. I must say this item has given me and the lad a buzz, fancy finding a classic herreshoff  item possibly from one of those beautifull yaughts in an old antique shop here in the uk and thanks for all the help so far.   Mike

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
The capstan I described and which your HREF linked to is for 5/16"
chain, not 5/16" rope. It stands about 13" high, with minimum barrel
diameter of about 3 1/2" and maximum diameter at the top about 8 1/4".
Max diameter at bottom plate is about 10", may be a bit more.

To identify your capstan it would be best for your to measure the
maximum chain thickness it can take (rope is around the barrel on top,
chain at the very bottom).