Author Topic: Herreshoff 10 meter  (Read 17160 times)

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Herreshoff 10 meter
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:48:44 AM »
In the latest Bone Yard Boats there's a "1902 Herreshoff 10 meter" named Rogue. The owner says he bought a print of Rogue from the Herreshoff museum, and his boat matches that print in basic dimensions, but there have been changes. There's quite a lot of history given, none of which proves that it's Herreshoff. A 1908 date is also given. There's also a not so great picture with the boat partially covered, and it has the general shape of a 15. I can't see any boat like this with a quick look at the log from 1902-1908. Any thoughts?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herreshoff 10 meter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
Could it be hull 549?

Any chance yo can email me a scan of the article?

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Interesting...I'd like to see the article as well...Don't think 549 would be a 10m as they average around 50' - and Rogue was around 30' - wouldn't fit the rule - even early on.

Whatever boat this is - if she was designed in 1902 she certainly wasn't designed at a 10m - first of the class was 1907. of course we've seen many a boat modified to meet a later class rule - so you never know.... 

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:17:47 AM »
I wrote to David Irving of BY boats to see if he minded if I scanned the article. I'm sure he won't, so I'll do it soon.
Steve, I think you have a new to me email address. Would you send it to me?

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:35 AM »
One more thought. Could it be a Bar Harbor 31? They're close to 50 feet overall.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:33:57 AM »
I had the same thought on the BH31...along  with the BB30 - Gamecock was contracted for  in early 02...

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
This might be helpful... From Maynard Bray's article "Two Views of the Bar Harbor 31s"....

"Auxiliary engines and taller masts sporting the new Marconi rig — cut down in area from the original gaff rigged cutter sail plan because of its great efficiency — began to show up. By 1929 a couple of the
boats had been re-rigged as Marconi yawls; a few others as single-headsail sloops. A modernization was taking place."

and

"The re-rigged Bar Harbors—INDIAN is a good example — fell into Universal Rule Class P but never made much of a showing since their ratings were so high for their speed. Back in 1902, when they were
designed, the so-called Seawanhaka Rule (a rule which penalized waterline length but didn't take into account the length on deck) was in vogue, and the scow-like hull of the Bar Harbor class with its long overhanging bow and stern was a result. But such a boat wasn't favored under the new and supposedly more wholesome Universal Rule"

So maybe it's not a stretch that one or more made it to Europe and fit the 10 Metre Class? Anyone know how close the P Class is to the 10 Metre? Would be wonderful if this a new/old find.... 

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
I read the ad that Bill refers to.  The boat is named GREEN PARROT.  We had this discussion some time ago and reached the conclusion that she is not a Herreshoff:

http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/forum/index.php?topic=17.0
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:04:23 PM by Steve »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
Ahh makes some sense - definitely not a Herreshoff. I think Bill was right in that original post that the GREEN PARROT is like the one IRYS had. That boat was one of 6 or 7 "S Class" boats built up on some lake in the Mid West. About a year ago - a fully restored one was for sale on YW - and sure enough it was the same hull as GREEN PARROT - raised deck and all. I think the confusion comes from the fact when someone states "S Class" they think Herreshoff.

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:56:24 AM »
I was in on the original Green Parrot discussion and completely forgot about it. Still, the ad says "10 Meter" so you think of a boat that's around 50', not 27' or so like the various S-boats. Unlikely there were two boats named "Green Parrot", so I think the Forum is right about the boat.

finler13

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:28 PM »
Anyone interested in re-opening this discussion? I have some photos of this boat i would like to share.