Author Topic: Re: A "New" Buzzards Bay 15 Has Been Found And Is Available  (Read 46740 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: A "New" Buzzards Bay 15 Has Been Found And Is Available
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
Robert:  Sometimes, HMCo would put the casting pattern number on bronze hardware.

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Charles it was a very long drive. I'm glad to be back in Edmonton. When I left Edmonton about the 30 minutes into the drive it was snowing and the roads were icy, the thought to turn around go home and get a flight to Phoenix and join my family crossed my mind and stayed there for about an hour but I'm glad I stuck with my plan. When I arrived and first saw the boat of course I was only seeing the areas of the boat that required lots of work and it was dicouraging me but I pressed on and got her loaded up and felt 100 % better. The drive home was easier than the drive there because I had what I came for and was looking forward to the opportunies on the way back to look her over when I pulled over for gas or a break to refresh my mind. 

Robert
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:52:47 AM by Robert (Alerion Sailor) »

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 02:06:26 AM »
Beautiful!  Simply beautiful.

Driving carefully, a 100 year old treasure behind, that very few people could view as a treasure.  Your mind bounces back and forth between the road, the ice, the problems and the vision of you sailing this vessel some summer hence...what a road trip, maybe with your kids or grandkids--'hold the tiller more gently son...'.  Stopping every now and again to get gas or liquids and look her over and admire through the plywood that shouldn't be there, the dry rotted frames under the deck, the peeling paint, and the good timbers and planks that can be restored.  The conversations with truck driver or person getting gas across the pump.  Keeping an eye out for the rogue deer that might jump across the highway and bring it all to a crashing halt in a ditch, or worse. Thoughts of the previous owners and how you will never let her come into such disrepair balanced by the notion "Do I have enough left in me for another restoration?"

Beautiful, manly exertion.  Too bad you couldn't share it with a friend.  But you have us instead.  Good on you, Robert.

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
Thought I would post a picture of some pullies that were on the deck one of them had a P etched on the shell. I think this was a jib sheet. Either P was for a boat name starting with a P or someone started to Buccaneer and gave up halfway thru the B

Jon Brooks

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Maybe it was the Port side block?

Jon   8)

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
Port = possibility.

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »
Well I checked the sails Buccaneer came with there are 2 sets both have Spiniker sails. One set made by Thurston with a Yellow and black alternating colour much like a yellow jacket hornet which seem to the nicer set the other made by Hood Sails which does seems to be an older set. Both set have the E 19.

I post some pictures of the tiller and Jib club.

The Jib club has checked pretty bad it looks original I thin I might try to repair to see how it goes but I does have a nice sitka spruce club as a back up and I'll transfer the hardware.

I think I will try mold remover one more time.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:57:17 AM by Robert (Alerion Sailor) »

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
A badly cracked Jib club and a really nice jib club, a decent spiniker pole  and Miss Q's tiller,.         

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:22:57 AM by Robert (Alerion Sailor) »

Jon Brooks

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
Wow!  You got all those old track screws out without twisting off the heads!  Good for you!

Jon   8)

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
all the screws were falling outI actually thought I was going to lose some on the trip back.