Author Topic: Re: A "New" Buzzards Bay 15 Has Been Found And Is Available  (Read 46736 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: A "New" Buzzards Bay 15 Has Been Found And Is Available
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
HMCo had several different builder's plates, but none of then were H-shaped.  That H-shaped plate had to have been added by a prior owner.   The plate on BUCCANEER would be a small rectangle of German silver, and would have been mounted on the aft bulkhead, centerline, just below the cleat.

Adam:  Wendy did send me some information on the wooden 12s that CCSB built, though not as much as I would have liked.  She is quite protective of the names and contact information of current owners (as she should be).  As for her having boxes of old business records ... I don't think she has anything,  but what a treasure it would be if she does!  You are friends with her, right? ;D

The "rear vent plate" is not an original item.  I added the one on ELF specifically for ventilation of the aft air chamber.  That and the forward compartment were originally meant for flotation chambers, as these boats are not self-bailing.  On ELF, I also added a large plastic, water-tight hatch from West Marine to ventilate the forward chamber.  (Relax ... nobody could see it unless you crawled into the cuddy).

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »
A WB member put this up for me

Are there any other sources of info available for the Herreshoff boats that might turn up something.

Robert
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:05:06 PM by Alerion Sailor »

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
"1944. ... Jack Mahony bought two of the Herreshoff 15-foot class knockabouts, Buccaneer [#822s] and Monsoon [#1079s], at Newport, kept Buccaneer for himself and sold Monsoon to Dick DeCubellis; ..." (Source: Davis, Jeff. Yachting in Narragansett Bay. Providence, 1946, p. 122.)

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
I wonder how long Jack owned Buccaneer? There is an attorney in Providence named John Mahoney in Providence he might be related to Jack. I sent him an email to to if he remembers Buccaneer.
Robert

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
Robert - besides books there are three main library's of documents - the Hart collection at MIT, The Herreshoff Marine Museum library, and Mystic Seaport. Those are the main ones. Other sources include local Yacht Club records (if you can deturmin any of the clubs your boat was out of), local papers in those days also published racing results - which can help with past owners, and periodicals such as Rudder and loyds also will have info.

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »
What material would the sails be made of, They are supposed to the original cross cut sails.

These were taken in the mid 70's
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:06:33 PM by Alerion Sailor »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
Would have been cotton - American or Egyptian. Dacron was not introduced until the 50's sometime. A number of sailmakers make special dacron sails that have the look and feel ofthe old cotton sail for restoration purposes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:29:49 PM by Adam »

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »
That what I thought, When I was a kid my father had an folk boat the sails were a beautiful cotton material the had a nice feel to them. I'm pretty excited about this boat. I was researching th Rudder Magazine in May 1978 had an article about a boat named BUCCANEER, I don't know if it was this Buccaneer. I will have to research this lead a bit more.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
When I restored ELF, we used modern Dacron sail cloth in an off-white color with cross-cut construction. 

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
The colour of Elf's sails looked real nice. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost for Elf's sails?

Got a price from Nat Wilson Quoted $2,600 for J&M made of a creme colour Dacron Does sound about right?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:21:39 AM by Robert (Alerion Sailor) »

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
"1944. ... Jack Mahony bought two of the Herreshoff 15-foot class knockabouts, Buccaneer [#822s] and Monsoon [#1079s], at Newport, kept Buccaneer for himself and sold Monsoon to Dick DeCubellis; ..." (Source: Davis, Jeff. Yachting in Narragansett Bay. Providence, 1946, p. 122.)

H R, I did get an emails back from John Mahoney his comments were as follows.

I spoke to my grandfather, Jack Mahoney, this past weekend and he informed me that in the early 1940’s, approximately 1942, he purchased a racing sailboat called a “snipe.”  He could not recall the name of the boat but did not recall the name BUCCANEER. He could not recall the manufacture but was fairly certain that the “snipe” he purchased was manufactured after 1917, likely closer in time to the boat’s purchase in the early 1940’s. 

Also, my wife tried to look up the boat to which you were referring on the internet to provide the information to my grandfather to spur his memory.  Unfortunately, the listing for the "Yachting in Narragansett Bay" that we saw listed the boat as a catamaran. I told my grandfather that the boat may have been a catamaran, which may have thrown him off a bit. My grandfather informed me that he never owned a catamaran.

Robert

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
Not for anything but in Southern New England the name "Jack Mahony" is about as common as sand on a beach....Being the Jack you are looking for kept the boat in Newport - you might want to call a few of the clubs and speak to whomever is their historian....Newport YC and Ida Lewis YC come to mind - as well as the Narragansett Bay Yacht Racing Association. certainly if she raced she would be in the yearbooks and race results.

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »
Adam I think you're right, I'm checking the Yacht Club you mentioned to what I can find out. I wasn't able to find any Jack Mahony spelled without the e. And thought that I would try the John Mahoney I was pretty excited when he spoke of a boat in in 1942 his grand father bought but a BB15 should be memorable enough over a Snipe.

John Mahoney's father was going to speak to Mr Jack Mahony (Grampa) to see if he rattle some of those memories from 70 years ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed or maybae a pictures might surface who knows.

Robert
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:39:07 PM by Robert (Alerion Sailor) »

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »
Aloha Robert, 

Congratulations on your find.  Some unsolicited advice given in the spirit of getting you sailing sooner rather than later. 

When you get the vessel restored and sailing, people are bound to come up to you and say, "I sailed on that, or I know something about that boat."  Same thing if you restore it in a place with visibility.  They will also congratulate you for getting her on the water again.  Then you will make your own memories aboard and people will do the same thing 30 years from now about Buccaneer and you. 

Tracing the lineage via race results is time consuming but interesting work.  However, I'd consider focusing on the restoration, the research is a means of procrastination.  A Project plan might be a good activity at this point if not done already.  If you are well on the way with project planning, perhaps you could share with the group.  Steve Nagy's paper on BB15 restoration, mentioned above, is an excellent primer.  Ghastly thought to cut the deck off with a chainsaw but he's right, getting through the preliminaries quickly let's you get to the frames, planks etc.

The owner of the S-Boats Squaw and Papoose also put up a website to check and detail their restoration progress which certainly produced some valuable insights on the boats history.  Highest regards to you for saving another classic.--Charles

Robert (Alerion Sailor)

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »
I think the same way, my new shop at the lake is being built 32x36,  I have read several restoration article on mostly Herreshoff boats. I think the first step once it has arrived safely in her new home is to loft and build stations to craddle the hull to bring the hull back to its original shape and then open her up, reframe/plank/floors . Then flip it and start on the keel. Steve's article was well written as well as the article on the Herreshoff web site and several youtubes vids have been very helpful.

Thanks again

Robert