Author Topic: ASDeWH 44?  (Read 10977 times)

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
ASDeWH 44?
« on: October 20, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
When I was in my twenties in the 1970s, a guy in Osterville, Cape Cod bought a 44' sloop named Marluva, fitted her out and sailed around the world with his wife. They took about a year to do it and I never saw the boat again.  IIRC it was an enlarged version of the Newport/New Bedford 29s designed by Sidney Herreshoff and built somewhere other than HMCo.  At the time I saw her she had an aluminum mast and a short bowsprit.

Anyone know anything about her history?

Thanks.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: ASDeWH 44?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
If it's the same Marluva, she was owned by Henry Wise Jr. and was a CCA member boat. Raced a lot in the Annapolis to Newport and Bermuda races in the 1950's and 60's. Not sure the 1970's. I have some of the CCA yearbooks - I'll go back and see if there is a pic....

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »
It's the same one. Marluva was owned from the late 1950s till the early or mid-1970s by Henry A. Wise, a Wilmington attorney. He sold her, apparently to A. P. Burnes of the Wianno Yacht Club. In 1975 she was in Tahiti, in 1976 she participated in the Cape to Rio race.

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »
Thank you.

the blame-e

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:08 AM »
In 1970 I was 16-years-old, living in Philadelphia. I was crew for Henry Wise. That year I helped ferry the Marluva up from Gibson Island to Newport RI in time for the Bermuda Race. From the Chesapeake Bay all the way up to Newport; it was the best broad reach of my whole life. Perfectly trim the entire trip, the seas never once broke above her lower rail.

We arrived in Newport in time to watch the 12-meters tuning up. I actually got onboard the Heritage. I also got to meet Ted Turner, who was up to campaign the Courageous. I was in Newport for 3-days, helping Mr. Wise get the Marluva ready for the Bermuda Race.

The Marluva was a wonderful boat. I believe she still had her wooden mast in 1970. She was so fast, quick, and light on her feet. She had a cast iron heater in the main cabin, just aft of the head, that would warm the whole boat. She replaced the Chance, which Mr. Wise had received as a wedding present. During a historic storm where many boats were lost, the Chance got hung up on a reef within sight of the lights of Bermuda. Mr. Wise had been down below, and saw the reef take out her starboard side. The Chance hung to the top of that reef until the crew was safely rescued the next morning.

Great stories.

The last I had heard -- and I cannot verify this story -- about the Marluva, the owner had tried to get her under a lowering draw bridge on the wrong tide. Broke the aluminum mast and practically drove it through the mast step. And that was that.