Author Topic: Daisy is a Happy Princess?  (Read 9575 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Daisy is a Happy Princess?
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
In the CBA records there is listed a HMCo. Catboat lying Padanaram by the name of DAISY - Built 1905. According to the builder records there is only one cat built in that timeframe  - HAPPY PRINCESS (contract december 1904).

Could it be.....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:08:48 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy is a Happy Princess?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
Sure sounds like it could be.  What information is in the CBA records?  Owner name / contact info ?

FWIW ... I've been going through the 1917 Lloyd's.  HAPPY PRINCESS was in Atlantic City in 1917, owned by an E. A. Parker.  Makes sense ... Atlantic City is quite close to Tuckerton, where the original owner had her.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:53:10 PM by Steve »

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Note that Happy Princess was sold by E. L. Parker, of Atlantic City to C. M. Sedgwick, of Kansas City in May 1917.

Whatever that means...

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:28:18 AM »
No not much info - name, builder, location, and date built - the link to additional info is broken (they could really use the Steve Nagy touch). I've made an inquiry on their "forum" - we'll see....

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:27:09 AM »
Spoke with Geoff Marshall today - seems DAISY left Padanaram about 5 years ago and believes she's is in Newport. He thinks she is owned by Donald Tofias, the founder of the W-Class boats.  Does anyone know how we can contact him? Adam, would you know the boat? Seems strange that this one would slip through the cracks being owned by someone so well known. I'd really love to see this boat...

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »
Nice work, Adam.  I am familiar with Tofias and have spoken with him a few times, but don't really know him.  If Adam L can't help, I am sure I can get in touch with him.

-Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:29 AM »
Steve - go for it!  ;D

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
Can we talk about this boat please....This thing would have been a beast as a cat. 42' and change with a 27' and change water line (thatís a 15' overhang folks) - and a 3' draft (I assume that is with board up). The two other boats built to this model are sloops. This thing is as extreme as it gets for a cat - must have been a handful in a blow. In fact the model seems an awful like the earlier fin keelers and half raters. If this boat really exists Iíd love to see it sail....Anyone know what SA she had?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
I have a note out to Bernie, who may know of her.  He most likely knows Tofias as well, so hopefully he will be able to pass along some contact info.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Bernie doesn't know anything of the boat.  I sent an inquiry off to Tofias, but apparently he is suffering in the Caribbean sun at his place in St. Baarths, so we may not hear anything for awhile.

But if Bernie doesn't know of the boat, perhaps Geoff didn't get the whole story.  It seems that what he remembers confirms that DAISY was in Padanaram.  The challenge is to find out who owned it (unless, of course, Mr. Tofias survives the lousy weather in St. Baarths and gives up some fresh information.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:11:45 PM by Steve »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
May I suggest a remote fact finding mission to St. Baarths? I volunteer.....

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:20 AM »
I heard from Mr. Tobias.  Turns out that many years ago he did own a wooden catboat named DAISY.  It was about 15 feet long.  Other than that, he doesn't know what we are talking about.  Looks like it is your turn.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
I think this one is closed - no Happy Princess - It appears the online CBA database is less then reliable...The new printed version is out - Daisy is listed as approx 16 feet and was a Rubin Bigelow design/Build - which makes far more sense and was probably tobias's boat....

Oh well.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
A good try, nonetheless