Author Topic: What's this? Quiz  (Read 61594 times)

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
What's this? Quiz
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
How about a little Herreshoff quiz?

Whoever is first with the right answer is allowed to ask the next Herreshoff-related question.

For starters: Who is this bucking bronco?

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
Re: What's this? Quiz
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
Looks like a 46 foot rating class boat?  WASP?

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
Well I knew it was a 46 footer - but had no idea if she was Wasp or Gloriana... Is there an easy way to tell from above the waterline?

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
Bow profile of WASP is closer to straight.  GLORIANA has a bit of reverse in her bow.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
Yes I've seen that in drawings - but in practice I can't seem to tell the difference...At least to my eye....

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
Well, that was quick! Congratulations, Adam Langerman!

The photo shows indeed #414s Wasp. Taken by John S. Johnston on Tuesday, September 18, 1894, just after the start of the New York Yacht Club's fall sweepstakes races. The sloop race was contested between Wasp and Queen Mab, with the latter winning after Wasp lost her bowsprit and had to be towed back to Bay Ridge. (Source: New York Times, September 19, 1894, p3a).

Looking at the photo I don't find it difficult to believe that the poor girl broke her bowsprit that day.

Adam, you get to ask the next question.

May I request that we all focus more on historic rather than recent Herreshoff questions?

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
I was going to say More Joy, but there is a sprit sticking out...Hmmm...you photoshoped the sail # and name (of course....).... A Rosie pic....damn you Langerman.... :P

How about ALERA, NY30'...... ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:30:10 PM by Adam »

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »
ALERA indeed!  You're up Adam...

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
OK - What year was this herreshoff Designed and Built ?  ::) 8)

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
1913 - HMM almost won the auction in 2009.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
Hmm, you guys are so fast!

There wasn't even time to read the question! :-)

And then, please, the URL to the answer was in the image... Let me google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=herreshoff+site%3Aconceptcarz.com&l=1

Adam L: "Almost" is never enough! :-)

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
Back to boats....What launching?

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »
Rainbow, May 15, 1934.

What a miserable day.

"BRISTOL, R. I., May 15 [1934]. --- Above the music of the mauls, abanging in rhythm, a new America's Cup yacht was set up in her cradle at the Herreshoff ship yard this morning. She began sliding down the greased ways to her launching. Then the infant ship of sail crept out of her cradle and floated in her element.
The yacht was the Rainbow, so christened by Mrs. Harold S. Vanderbilt, wife of her skipper-to-be. Tonight the new nautical creation lay in a slip, her great mast stepped and rigged ready for her to sail.
She might have been taken out under canvas late this afternoon but for lack of breeze and drab weather conditions. That would have been an all-time record, from hull in building shed to winged flight in one day. ... Mrs. Vanderbilt took one strike with a cloth-covered bottle of champagne. Then she swung a second time for a base hit. Rainbow was christened. But the yacht slid down out of the shed only until the tip of her lead bulb keel was an inch above the water. There she stopped. A connecting rod had broken in the motor unwinding the drum. There was a wait of half an hour until the rod could be replaced. Then the Rainbow went on.
... The building of the yacht had been merry work for breadwinners, some of whom had suffered idleness for the greater part of four years. Among them were veterans who helped build the Reliance thirty-one years ago.#
... The great duralumin mast, 165 feet long and weighing 5,685 pounds, was rolled out on the pier to be hoisted in slings from a lattice-steel derrick and placed in the yacht. Charles G. Nystrom of the Herreshoff firm, John Parkinson of Boston, who will be one of the yacht's afterguard, and Captain George Monsell, professional master of the racer, each placed a quarter down in the mast step for luck. They were careful to note that none of the coins was of 1929 date, the year the depression started.
Rope Stops Are Cut.
It was slow and careful work handling the heavy and unwieldy mast. Shortly after noon, however, it had been set in the step. The shrouds, headstay and backstays were set up and the mast secured. ..." (Source: Robbins, James. "Rainbow Launched At Bristol Yard." New York Times, May 16, 1934, p. 24.)