Author Topic: 57 Foot Class?  (Read 31769 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: 57 Foot Class?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Aloha, Mr. Barclay.  Right now, we have AVENGER as being unaccounted for, with the last known ownership being Watson in 1927.  It sounds like you have evidence to the contrary.

See the Registry entry for AVENGER: http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/detail.php?hull=666.  Any corrections you may have are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.

-Steve   

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Avenger was still owned by William W. Watson as per the 1935 Lloyd's Register. She was under charter for the N.Y.Y.C. to W. F. Ingold in August 1935 as per the New York Times of August 18, 1935, p. S1 and owned or sailed in 1937 by John J. Daly as per the Boston Globe of June 26, 1937, p. 8. I haven't checked any Lloy's Register immediately after 1935, but she was not listed anymore in 1955.

It would be nice to find out more about Avenger's final history. What a great boat she was!

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
Aloha Gents, and thank you Mr. Nagy for the welcome!

From the Google search "Avenger herreshoff yacht Watson" comes the fourth item quoted in part below:

"Club

Archives

Club History
MEMOIRS OF A YACHT CLUB

by: Marston W. Keeler, 1970

These pages are dedicated to the memory of our members who have set sail on their last voyage. Without their foresight and initiative our Yacht Club would not have been. May they forever have fair winds and a quiet anchorage.

Memoirs of a Yacht Club

Our more mature members will recall the numerous fine yachts (and some not so fine) flying the Burgee of the Conanicut Yacht Club during the twenties and thirties. Among these, with their owners, can be mentioned

DOG STAR III, Commodore F. O. Allen ---THE ANNAS, Mrs. Harrison S. Morris---12-Meter Sloop ANAWA, Commodore Horace F. Smith, Jr.---VEGA, J. S. L. Wharton---PENGUIN, L. M. Keeler---10-Meter Sloop REVENGE, T. Albert Potter---Catboat ARUSA, W. Wetherill---Schooner GERTRUDE, B. Block---FISHER MAID & FIREFLY, Mrs. J. Bertram Lippincott----74 foot Sloop AVENGER, W. W. Watson, Jr.—FAYELLE, Mrs. James M. Dodge---Sloop THELEMA, Commodore Charles W. Wharton---Crosby Yawl CHERIE, W.M.C. Kimber---TODDYWAX, Herreshoff-built in 1906 for William P. Henszey--- TODDYWAX II & III, built for Dr. and Mrs. Thomas G. Ashton in the early 30’s---THANIA, ex-TODDYWAX I, now Daniel A. Newhall’s and still going strong---Friendship Sloop ESTELLA A, owned by Duncan Selfridge and presently at Mystic Seaport—And one can not forget the palatial 100 foot Yacht WILD DUCK, belonging to Miss Margaret B. Levey and Commodore Charles B. Levey, with its crew of nine, plus a watchman to patrol the decks at night.

It should be noted in this era yachting was a Gentlemans sport, and in our fleet there were few boats if any size, either sail or power, which were not run and maintained by uniformed paid hands. Fortunately the game has changed with the times, boats have shrunk in length and professional help is no longer a required standard for yachting.

Hurricanes have played a part in the destiny of our Yacht Club. The first of the century, coming ashore Long Island, hit the Northeast coast with tremendous fury and without warning on the afternoon of September 21st, 1938. Little Rhode Island stood directly in the path of this killer storm, and before nightfall over 300 lives had been lost and $100,000,000 worth of damage had been wrought in the State. In Jamestown 7 school children died when their school bus bogged down at Mackerel Cove, and the ferry “Governor Carr “found a new berth for itself on the Wetherill’s front yard. By five o’clock the wind was recorded at a velocity of 121 miles-per-hour and every boat anchored off the Yacht Club had either sunk or been washed ashore and wrecked. The pier was soon demolished, and tidal waters rose beyond the first floor level. At this point, the ranking member present removed the list of Officers and Trustees from the wall, and declared the Club “out of commission.”

So Steve, I don't think the provenace should change, just an indication of where we might find more data.  I believe the "Vega" mentioned in the same paragreaph is a Herreshoff steam vessel converted to gas.  Anyway, it is unlikely Mr. Keeler is still alive to ask further questions.

Similarly, I am tracking down a 95 year old sailor in Hawaii for my S Boat project.     

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
Thanks, and good luck with your search for the S-Boat sailor.  I know all too well what is entailed in tracking this stuff down.