Author Topic: L. Francis - Dulcinea  (Read 19700 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
L. Francis - Dulcinea
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:13:04 AM »
Anyone know the design (1931 Design #55)? Interested in any built by Allan Vaitses or around late 1950's early 60's...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:04:55 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: L. Francis - Dulcinea
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Wish I could help.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
Mr. Watson,
It appears the yacht in question was built in 1958 by Vaitses. There is an old post from the owner in Maine over on WBF. She and her Boyfriend are doing a resto.

I had asked as I purchased a number of original Fortier photos that are a bit unusual and with little info to figure out what they are. These are not mounted, numbered, and signed as he did with his typical retail photos - rather they have hand written notes from Fortier on the back with some info – most simply state "Photograph by Norman Fortier" and a date. These may have been "builder" photo's that are used when filing a new boat with the coast guard. One was quite interesting as it states the Photo was actually taken by Vaitses - I assume they were together that day and he was using Fortiers camera. I also assumed they where purposely taking a shot of one of Vaitses builds. And using a Magnifying glass - VOILA! - her name was Dulcinea....Looking at LFH's Sensible Cruising; there she is - design #55....

Now to find out when taken……

Sincerely,
Sherlock…
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:05:35 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »
Are you baiting me ?    ;D

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »
No, no, would never do such.... ::) just trying to nail down info on a bunch of pics that I have no real info on.....I spent some time yesterday in one of those exciting meetings we both have paging through every on-line Fortier photo the NBWM has posted in their Archive (around 1800....) - to no avail....Still nice photos, and thats what counts...

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
The owners of the Vaitses Dulcinea are friends of mine. I'm sure they'd love to know about those photos....

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Yes I have already spoken to them. nice people. This photo is Fortiers original photo of her on the maiden voyage. Foriter would - besides his artistic tallents - take photo's of new hulls for builders so they could register the hull with the US Coast Guard (Safety stuff in those days). It is thought that this is that photo - it is not one of his art photo's and is a bit more "crude" then his nice stuff. on the back in Foriers handwriting is states - photo taken by Alan Vaitses. Vaitses, BTW, learned his trade at the Herreshoff Yards....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:03:42 PM by Adam »

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
(Vaitses)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:07:37 PM by rbgarr »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »

itctravel

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
My Fiance' and I own her. I am interested in the photo you are speaking of. Feel free to e-mail me itctravel@capecod.net.

Ahhh, I just found the photo on Flicker. We have that pic also. Somewhere is a picture of L.F. on the boat w/Alan ... I would love to get ahold of that pic!

Thanks!
Paul and Jodi
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:59:59 PM by itctravel »

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
Paul and Jodi, current owners of Dulcinea may be willing to part with her to a serious party that will restore her. Price, if any, negotiable. I don't know if their old e-address is stlll current.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:40:36 AM by rbgarr »