Author Topic: The H20 Class  (Read 91430 times)

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
The H20 Class
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Find out more at CYS...

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: The H20 Class
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »
Can't wait to hear about it.  To me, it looks like you are using Nat's offset machine to take the lines from the model used for FANO.  Can we expect Herreshoff Designs to be offering such a vessel? 

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Erick's Wooden Boat Pics
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
Yes I am excited about this boat. I wonder though why it is not called the H17 since it is 17 on the waterline?  Did someone cave to modern convention?
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:20:09 PM »
I might word it differently than 'cave', but.........yes............

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
When are you going to speak about the H-20? I don't see it on the schedule for the CYS.
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:19:21 AM »
No specific time.  We will be distributing info in with the registration packages and displaying some renderings.  And the builder will be on hand all weekend (it's being built next door to our office in a new shop on Burnside St.)

Jon Brooks

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:27 AM »
Minx always beat better to windward with the loose-footed, wish-bone jib than the club-footed boats.

Jon   8)

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
What does the wish bone do for you compared to a plain jib (no club foot, no wish bone)?  Does it still have some self- tending qualities?

Jon Brooks

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »
Absolutely!  With the Wish-boom, you get the self-tending qualities, plus a better sail shape, especially along the foot.

Jon   8)

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
That makes sense. Now since we are on the subject of a loose foot giving you better sail shape at the bottom of the sail, why then don't they do the same thing on the main sail?  Has to be a good reason, because I don't seen very many sloop rigged boats with loose foot mains.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Loose footed mains are extreamly popular now - at least with traditional booms....I've heard reefing can be "different" - but some say easier - never owned one so can't say.... What's not so popular it seems are Wish-Boom rigs on mains - except in Cat boats and Cat-Yawl/Ketch's. Not sure why - somewhat more complex halyard and outhaul system maybe? I've heard the changes in aerodynamics due to the boom pressing on the sail is overrated... Who knows.... Halsey designed quite a few I believe.

I have a self tending jib on my Blue Chip - which only attaches at the clew - I guess you can say a loose footed self tending Jib - as opposed to what I see on most 12's which is a "shelf footed" - where the jib boom is attached to the whole foot. I noticed on many of the larger Herreshoffs they had "half booms" attached directly to the aft section of the jib...

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
Yes I like the half club jib idea.  It allows the front edge of the jib to stil create the foil shape down low.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »
Yes I like the half club jib idea.  It allows the front edge of the jib to stil create the foil shape down low.

They work great until you have to take them down in a blow, at which point they become a liability. 

In the case of the H-20, NGH drew the wish-bone jib boom on the original sail plan so we don't see any reason to change it.  I'll get some pictures of the construction progress up soon.

Adam L.

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
Find the 12 1/2...

H-20 molds set up and laminated frames / floors in place.  Next comes the laminated keel and then it's planking time!

The shop is located at 20-22 Burnside St; Originally the HMC machine shop.  There is a great picture of the space in the late 1890s on page 35 of Herreshoff of Bristol with all the belt driven machinery, including a huge lathe for which the stone foundations are still in place.  When the hull jig for the H20 was being set up, we found the floor of this shop is still perfectly level.