Author Topic: Saving a Boston Whaler 13 from being a Flower pot !  (Read 127512 times)

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
  • I Refit/Restore small power boats !
    • View Profile
Re: Saving a Boston Whaler 13 from being a Flower pot !
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Tricks  
Joe what are you using for your bright work? My Montauk needs freshening up.

lonesurfer:
Hey Joe don't give away Captain Mikes secret method of applying varnish. I've never seen that done before but it does look really good and saves a lot of time. He did the sailboat deck the same way. I'm old school and use the old brushing technique but want to give the new technique a try on my 13 whaler when the time comes.  

That wood also looks so good because no other whaler around has burmease teak as seats they all just have mahogany. That teak is expensive and thats why the grain looks so good. I look at it as a whaler with a little taste of carolina in her.  

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »
Water line was marked & repainted ! Also New Axle installed on trailer !

Flower Pot .... BW 13 ..... is Finish ......... [Cardinal Joe]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:55:21 AM by Cardinal Joe »

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 06:34:12 AM »
*****Another New Restoration Project on a Boston Whaler 13 ... Hull # 221 ***** ......Customer boat - ask if we could make her pretty again ??????
This BW 13 has Gelcoat Cracking everywhere , yes she is a " WOODY " model! This old girl has been in dry storage for the last 5 + years . the hull is Dry and she is ready to be Restored !

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:43:38 AM by Cardinal Joe »

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 06:33:46 AM »
More pic's of BW 13 Hull #221

]

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:45:19 AM by Cardinal Joe »

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Surface Cracking Everywhere !

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:45:41 AM by Cardinal Joe »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
I much prefer the white Formula 23 hull "El Rey" in the fourth photo...Superb sea boats. Same as the Albemarle 24.

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 03:43:40 AM »
I much prefer the white Formula 23 hull "El Rey" in the fourth photo...Superb sea boats. Same as the Albemarle 24.[/b]

Also -a very proven bottom......Formula 23 hull is the one that started it all such as regulator, contender, seavee, rampone just to name a few and Albemarle 24.................

Hope you are getting some Sleep ......  diaper duty is a bitch in the middle of the night ......

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 03:58:44 AM »
I'd argue Bertram and Ray Hunt but I get your point....and yes Diaper duty is a bitch....

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 04:12:19 AM »
I'd argue Bertram and Ray Hunt but I get your point....and yes Diaper duty is a bitch....

I agree the Bertram 31 started it all - and then came the Formula 23 hull & it was faster ......

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

I agree the Bertram 31 started it all - and then came the Formula 23 hull & it was faster ......

Nope - I stand corrected - Formula 23 hull was first an Richard Bertram saw the Formula 23 running around the Miami area , an asked Ray Hunt to design a 30 footer for himself - Bertram 31 was born ....

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »
not sure what your saying here...The Formula 23 was from 69 or 70, Hunt's design (The original Moppie) was from 60 or so (This is from Memory so I may be off a year or two but not much). Now Aronow ran  a series of Formulas in the early 60's but I think they were all the under 21'ers....BTW I ran an early Seabird 23 (1970) which was slower but had a better entryway - far drier boat then the others. Gotta love OMC electric shift drives ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:47:46 PM by Adam »

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 11:53:14 PM »
Adam - I email a old friend that use to work at the Bertram factory plant for years..... this is his email -

Tell the guy to go to the Bertram website history and it talks about Richard Bertram watching a 23 foot experimental boat with an experimental inboard outboard which later became the 23 formula and the outdrive became the volvo and mercruiser outdrive.  This was all around 1958.  Richard bertram liked the 23' experimental boat (23 formula) that he had Ray Hunt design him a 30 foot version which became the 31 bertram.  it was the first Deep vee he ever saw it was actually a sailboat tender.  Hope this helps. Jay

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »
Hunt was desingning his "deep Vee" well before 58. The 23 you mention was a Fiberglass prototype built by Dyer (of Dyer Dinghy's no less) - and was a HUNT design! Additionally Hunt experimented with similar designs as far back as at least the eary 50's.

Quote from Bertram History:

"Bertram first encountered Hunt's experimental powerboats during America's Cup trials in 1958. He noticed a 23-foot, fiberglass prototype, designed to be a tender, slicing through the chop of Block Island Sound. Bill Dyer (who came in second in the legendary 1960 race) had laid up the fiberglass on the swift little tender. After running it himself. Bertram wrote, "Knifing through those six-foot seas at 30 knots, this little 23-footer stopped every sailor...in his tracks. No one had ever seen powerboat performance to approach it." Bertram was impressed enough to commission a wooden 30-footer from Hunt. The boat was finished in early 1960 and christened with a bottle of domestic champagne."

And from the history of Formula:

"This story began in 1965. It was during that year that Florida-based boat designer, Don Aronow, designed a 19' hull for offshore racing. But while the design proved extremely successful, Don continued to modified it until 1969, when he increasing its length to 23'. So began the original Formula Marine."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:35:01 PM by Adam »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:39 PM »
And here is my Albemarle - A'La - Formula....30 Miles East, SE, of Boston....

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 04:35:45 AM »
Adam - great infor..... that about clear up any questions I had..... And Nice Albemarle 24 !!!!!!!

PS> I have 3 project - Formula 23 hull in my yard , one is presently under construction with some trick modifications .......

I think I'll start another thread under '" Whatever " on Customizing a Formula 23 hull ...

and move these posting go ........ ?

Anyway back to the BW 13 restoration .....