Author Topic: Hull #1498 Restoration  (Read 117053 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hull #1498 Restoration
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
That's OK I'll just move the pen mark on the calendar for when I'll be needed for crew...  ;)

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Erick's Wooden Boat Pics
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
I'll give you first dibs, seriously.
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
Erick:   Your work looks really nice!

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
Thanks Steve, this canoe is taking longer than expected, but it is such a sweet design that I want to take my time and make it as nice as I can.  But I am very anxious to get back to the 12 1/2.
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Daughter's wedding, vacation, ...  Boy it's tough to keep moving on a project.  However I did manage to get a little bit done on the canoe despite life getting in the way, and I hope to finish it in about a month.

But in the meantime, for the 12 1/2,  I acquired some bronze rod for my transom drifts, and picked out the mahogany boards I will use.  Saturday I will bring the white oak board I purchased from that Naval Timbers place in Conn. to my local mill and have it planed to thickness.  So the order of events will be...  1) build transom, 2) Install new transom and new transom knee,  3) Make and install new mahogany sheer strakes, 4) make and install new keel plank.  Then I will be ready to re-plank hopefully next spring and summer.  During the winter I hope to work on spars, tiller, and misc. stuff.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:06:15 PM by Erick »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »
Oh how funny a shot of the pool! That is one pretty "canoe"...

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
Thanks Adam, I am going to paint the sheer strake that Herreshoff light green color like that of Alerion's hull.  I thought that would look nice with the mahogany trim.  She sits a little low with the two of us in it, but I intend to put a taller coaming around the cockpit to keep the splash out.  It weights 40 LBS now, I figure 12 or so more LBS with the deck and trim.

The wife and I have challenged ourselves to lose 15 LBS between us so we can keep the waterline where it is, ha ha.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
At the end of August, I finished up the little Wee Rob canoe, see photo below.  However August was an interesting month in that I also found out I had a cancerous tumor the size of a golf ball in my right kidney.  We splashed the canoe on September 3rd and I was on the operating table on September 7th.  All went as good as can be, as kidney cancer grows very slowly while it is contained in the kidney. The tumor was removed, and there appeared to be no signs of it having spread anywhere else. I was extremely fortunate they found it in time.

So now that I am fully recovered, it's back to the 12 1/2, where I am currently working on the new keel plank.  I have the rabbet made, and will be shaping the bevel from rabbet to the lead.  Then it is on to steam bending that puppy.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:34:44 PM by Erick »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
Looks great, Erick.  When you face a health challenge, it gives you a deeper understanding of life's priorities.  Keep it up!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:26 AM »
Wow Erick....thought you had been MIA for awhile....glad your back - and on the resto.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »
The wife is away for 4 1/2 weeks for military training in Florida so it looks like I will be able to get a lot of time in on the boat.  I finished the keel plank rabbet and made the bevel from the rabbet to the ballast, so that piece is ready for steam bending.  I am currently building a jig to steam it on, and should be ready to steam it this Saturday.  Unfortunately it is starting to get cold up here in Albany, so I will have to spend money to keep the garage warm.  If I were a week ahead of schedule, last weekend would have been a great day for steam bending, it was 52 degrees here.  I use a carbon monoxide detector to keep track of air safety when I use the propane turkey fryer. Every once in a while we'll have to open the garage doors and ventilate.  Pictures to follow.

If my schedule is correct, I will have the keel plank installed, new transom and sheer strakes installed by St. Patrick's Day, and I will be all set for planking when the warmer weather gets here.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
Steam bending the keel plank.  Bagged the 1 3/8" thick piece in 4 mil poly, and had two stem hoses going in.  It took a long time for the set up to get hot.  It was staying at about 160 degrees for a long time, so I had to start a second boil pot and put an extra hose into the bag to get over 200 degrees.  Kept steam going for about 1.5 to two hours after that, then clamped her down to the form.

We'll see in about a week when I take the clamps off how much spring back there is.  Hopefully not too much.

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
  • I Refit/Restore small power boats !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
 Erick .....That's Amazing ...... how did you learn those old school ways ? 

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
I have the book "How to build the Haven 12 1/2 Footer"  It was written by Maynard Bray and Eric Dow, who researched how the original boats were made.  Not sure the poly bags are old school, but it was the  technique Eric outlined in the book to bend the keels on the Haven, only they do it right on the molds.  I have been researching a lot myself, and the folks on WoodenBoat forum have been a great help as well.

It is a little scary doing some of this stuff for the first time, but so far I've been lucky. For example, I don't really know how long to keep this keel clamped up.  When I did the frames, I left them clamped for three or four days, and there was no spring back. My assumption is that they just have to cool, so I probably could release it the next day, but  I am still going to keep it clamped for a week, mostly because I have no free time until then.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »
Erick:  I am thrilled to watch your story unfold!  Though my knowledge is limited to the few classes I have taken, I would agree that letting it sit for a few days is best, if for no other reason then to minimize springback.

A few years ago, Ed McClave, the engineering genius behind the renowned firm of MPG, was selling a software product called Bevel Guage (if memory serves).  Though I believe it is no longer marketed, I found it intriguing because of the mathematical functions the software employed to predict springback.  It is no wonder that their projects, like SPARTAN and AMORITA, are so spectacular!

On the smaller scale of the 12, my guess is that you will be sitting pretty after a few days.  Anyone with more experience... please chime in !

-Steve