Author Topic: Hull #1498 Restoration  (Read 126969 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hull #1498 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
A guy who used to work for me built a system using a PC, 2 servo motors, and a digital camera to take multiple photos of a 3d object at precise points.  His software then calculated offsets using data from the photo files and the amout of distortion caused by different angles (don't ask me), and output an array of points.  He used it to make violins ... sorta like taking the lines off a Stradivarius electronically.  He fed the points into another program that drove a circular saw attached to 3 servo motors to cut a chunk of maple to the exact curves, thicknesses, etc.  The results he turned out were amazing.  He tells me it would be no problem to use it on a boat, or on any 3D object.

That being said, good ol' Nat had a multi-dimensional planimeter that he used to take measurements off of a half-hull.  These were then put into the offset book that the loftsmen used to create the molds.  This low-tech device was pretty accurate ... enough to win a bunch of America's Cups   :).

My guess is this is what Adam L is referring to.

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
Right,  the offset reading machine is very accurate and still used, with pleasure, on occasion.   We also have a small 3-d scanner we've been playing with recently.   As far as use of the name, this wouldn't solve any problems.  It would put the 'are the lines accurate' question to bed though.   Adam Langerman

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »
Adam - has anyone ever asked to do this? I'd be surprised if it had not.

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
Not that I'm aware of.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Erick's Wooden Boat Pics
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »
Hi guys,

Found out something interesting in my struggles so far.  The frames on this boat are supposed to be 13/16" thick, and the planks are supposed to be 1/2" thick.  Now before I tell you what I am going to tell you, let me say that I believe the frames at the bow of this boat, and the planks are original.

I am now at the point where I am beveling these bow molds, and when I compare the way the my boat hollows to how my battens run across my beveled molds, my molds show a lot less or even no hollow were there should be some. I am not that far off, but it's still not right.

So I go back to the boat and make some measurements, and find that the plank thickness is 3/8" and not 1/2" up near the bow, and the frame thickness is closer to 5/8" or 11/16", and not the 13/16" required.  Interesting huh?
As it turns out I think my molds are off by about 1/8 to 1/4" in places, too big, which is better than too small. Fine I can make the necessary adjustments.

Well, I think the shape of my hull in the bow is pretty true so I think I am going to adjust my molds to give me the shape I am seeing here. 

So I will have some interesting questions for the guys at Mystic Seaport next week when I go there to take my private lesson on carvel planking.  One will be... Did they thin the planks in the bow on purpose to get the planks to twist better? Or should they actually be the 1/2" required thickness.  I assume there would be some thinning of the planks when fairing the hull, but not that much. 

I am pretty sure the frames should be the full 13/16 thickness because the 1" screws are just starting to pierce through the inside of the original 5/8" thick frames.

Figuring out these little challenges is what is making this a fun and interesting project.
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
I just got back from a private class on spiling and planking at Mystic Seaport.  What an excellent time.  Rick Ramenda is the instructor who is now teaching the classes started by William Garden.  I learned everything I need to know, plus the most important part which is to be very accurate in your marking and wood removal to ensure an excellent plank fit. 

I am now psyched to get through replacing the structural members so that I can start planking, but it probably won't be until the Fall.

The drive home to Albany was a bear.  Flooding near Mystic, and big time snow in the Berkshires.
The wife says I can have a mistress as long as her ribs are made from white oak.

Jon Brooks

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
Regarding the "flying buttresses", in the photo of "Minx" (ex-Target, nee Minx) you can see a bronze cam-action cleat mounted to the combing on the Port side.  This was part of the Genoa Jib arrangement added by a previous owner who raced her actively on Long Island Sound against the Cape Cod Bullseye fleet.  But it also stiffened the combings, which had been split longitudinally in the 1938 Hurricane.

The boat also has the earlier (nicer) bow chocks, and as can be seen, the oar-lock brackets are mounted directly to the combings.

Jon   8) 

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
I've been busy making new frames and floor timbers.  I should be finished installing them all by the end of the month.  four more are ready to go in next week, and then the last two the following week.  Here are some pictures taken last night:

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
Lookin' real good, Erick!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
Wow - I'd say...Fantastic Erick!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:18:49 AM by Adam »

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
I finished making the new stem and installed it last night.  I uploaded some pics at my site: www.erickswoodenboatpics.shutterfly.com

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Going to slow down on the 12 1/2 until spring and the warm weather allows me to drag my table saw out to the driveway to cut my sheer strakes and stuff like that.

I am going to build two Iain Oughtred designed Wee Rob canoes for myself and the wife.  Can work on those two in the house where it's warm. 

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
We last left our hero rejoicing in the installation of a new laminated white oak stem.

Then, there was the insistence by The Admiral to build a canoe, which turned into a pair of canoes, which in turn turned back into a single 14 1/2 foot canoe that will hopefully float the two of us, or else I am swimming behind.

Canoe to date:

So, even though I am not finished with the canoe yet, I am forced by my obsession with all things Herreshoff, to get back to the 12 1/2, splitting time between the boat and canoe.  Good thing the wife is still away six out of every nine days or my time in the shop would be much less than what it is currently.

I have until next January before she comes home full-time, so I better get moving.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
Very pretty Erick! Beautiful work.
You still think the 2012 regatta is doable?

Erick Singleman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
At this point I am just hoping to make the 2014 100th anniversary.  However, realistically think I could possibly make the 20113 regatta if things go relatively well.   I would like to make my target dates, but quality of build always wins out over my desire to finish to a schedule.