Author Topic: herreshoff 18'  (Read 643928 times)

grady

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
herreshoff 18'
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »
looking at a herreshoff pilot boat looks kinda like a small tug can't seem to find much about this boat
on-line, how many were made thanks for any help

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: herreshoff 18'
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
Grady:  I'm not familiar with a pilot boat.  You say it looks like a tug ... it is a power boat?  Was it built by the Herreshoff Maufacturing Company or some other builder?  Does it have a hull number?  Do you have a photo?

-Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
I'd bet Halsey's "Herreshoff America" hull. N&W built at least 4 different boats with that hull - The "America" Catboat, the "Eagle" sloop, the cat ketch "Scout", and a small tug/pilot boat (name unknown). The Scout and the Tug are pretty rare as far as I know (in all the years I've only seen 1 tug and two scouts)....

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
Found a few pics of one on the net...

http://www.uncommonboats.com/website/article.asp?id=189

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Yes, the Herreshoff America, Eagle, Scout and Pilot all use the same hulls!  The non-sailing hulls do not have centerboards of course.

HMM uses a Pilot as its launch.

We get more calls regarding the America than any other of our older (post HMCo) designs.

A thumbnail from our archive on the Pilot:

Adam Langerman
Herreshoff Designs, Inc.

grady

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
Thanks to all replys.
Adam the pics you sent are the boat i saw.boat has been sitting in owners yard a long time. Has gas engine that doesn't run. Am thinking of making offer.Would like to restore to seaworthy condition.The few i have seen on line are really nice looking.Any links would be helpful.Thanks in advance

grady

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
Adam
Also the mast on this one is aluminum do you know if this original or not, i believe the year is mid 70s.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
Hi Grady - Cant say for sure but since the HA catboat had an Alum rig, id say the alum spar on this one was probably original.

Interesting note - I read many years ago (CBA Forum maybe) that Halsey used one of his grandfathers hulls - an early HMCo. racing cat - as the model. Adam L. - would that be true? and if so which hull #?

I always had a soft spot for Cape Cod Cats (at one time an obsession  :o) . I've been told that once the engine well was pluged these hulls compared very well with the Marshall 18...

The Scout...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/3021722595_e6ec57db7b_o.jpg

The Eagle...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/3752998918_789495a4ef_o.jpg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:32:05 PM by Adam »

Adam Langerman

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
    • Herreshoff Designs, Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
Interesting note - I read many years ago (CBA Forum maybe) that Halsey used one of his grandfathers hulls - an early HMCo. racing cat - as the model. Adam L. - would that be true? and if so wich hull #?

I've heard this as well, but have never seen any documentation regarding which model was used.

Adam L.

grady

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:08:31 AM »
Adam L
I went to the HM today,what a great place, found out a little more, everyone was very friendly and helpful, was able to board the launch.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »
One of the CBA members put this up on the web - so there are at least 6 production boats built from that hull:
the "America", "Eagle", "Scout", "Pilot", "Yacht Club Launch", and "Bay Fisherman"....Plus they offered "Custom" configurations.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3832817177_dd083bee25_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3833611230_ac9b4baec5_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/3833611264_d38ac101b0_o.jpg

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
  • I Refit/Restore small power boats !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »
Yes, the Herreshoff America, Eagle, Scout and Pilot all use the same hulls!  The non-sailing hulls do not have centerboards of course.

Pilot Model - 1974

Was the Westerbeke diesel engine a 25 hp ?   If so is 8 to 9 knots average speed @ 1800 rpms ?

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Yes, the Herreshoff America, Eagle, Scout and Pilot all use the same hulls!  The non-sailing hulls do not have centerboards of course.

HMM uses a Pilot as its launch.

We get more calls regarding the America than any other of our older (post HMCo) designs.

A thumbnail from our archive on the Pilot:

Adam - do you think the Harbor Pilot - Restored - as a Retail Market ?  I do Restorations on small boats for resale !

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
Well as a business man everything has a market - its just is that maket > then your cost/time....Figuring out that profit margin is the real trick now isn't it.  :o

Cardinal Joe

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 12:03:20 AM »
Well as a business man everything has a market - its just is that maket > then your cost/time....Figuring out that profit margin is the real trick now isn't it.  :o

There is no trick - you can never really make a profit ,if you take into account " Time & Materials " in the boat buisness!

To me it is " Therapy " !  I usually keep 50 % of my Restorations for about a year , then put them up for sale . The last two daysailors that I restored were a PEEP Hen 14 and a BAY Hen 21 by Nimble , I had a waiting list of " Hensnest " customers for both boats and sold them after I played with them for about a year .
Also Restored Three -Boston Whalers 13 footer's , Aquasport 20 and a Mako 19 CC ( all power boats ) ! And had a market for all of them ( very easy to sell ) .

So, Adam  - is there a following on these Herreshoff 18 footers i.e. Harbor Pilot ?