Author Topic: Trying to find my dad's old 12 1/2  (Read 3527 times)

salatrix

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Trying to find my dad's old 12 1/2
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:30:24 AM »

Greetings!  Stumbled onto this site while trying to find info about the 12 1/2 that my dad and grandfather owned for a few years back in the mid-'50s. 

Here's what little I know (and likely filtered by time and memory):

Purchased in Warren, RI, circa 1955.  Was named "Jane," and painted black and red.  She was a Marconi rig with sail # 25.

Was taken to Wild Harbor, N. Falmouth, renamed "Two Bits" (kept sail #25) converted to a gaff rig, and painted light blue.

Sadly, they sold her a few years later (circa '57) to the Hurwitz family which happened to own "Hurwitz Brothers," a clothing store in Falmouth.

I don't know the hull number (dad said "it could have been in the 800s", but that didn't sound very certain).  I did a search of the registry (thanks for that--great resource) but couldn't find any hits on the names.

Any suggestions?  Have thought about trying to track down members of the Hurwitz family to she if they might know where she may have ended up.  Would mean a great deal to my dad if he could ever see her again.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find my dad's old 12 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »
Let me do a little digging.  I have some data that hasn't been entered in the Registry yet (although none of this rings a bell).  The sail number ... would you know if it was "25", "H 25", or "BB 25" ?

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »
Can you supply any of the Hurwitz family names? There are a lot of that familly all along the South Coast and Cape - even the islands....
Also, do you know where in Falmouth did they keep the boat (which harbor)?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
I sent a note to a knowledgable contact I have in Quissett.  Maybe she will come up with something.