Author Topic: 12 1/5 Brant  (Read 3780 times)

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
12 1/5 Brant
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
The registry contains an entry for an unknown 12 1/2, Brant.

On July 7, 1928, p. 16 the New York Times reports a 12 1/2 footer Brant, sailed by Katherine Hoyt, the fifteen-year old daughter of Richard F. Hoyt, who had Elizabeth Hovey and Charles Hoyt as crew, as winning her class by a large margin in the July 6, 1928 regatta of the Beverly Yacht Club in Marion, Mass.

Now, Richard F. Hoyt was the owner of Imp #918s.

Are Brant and Imp related?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: 12 1/5 Brant
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »
Brant & Imp are related from the perspective that the same Marion family owned both of them at one point.  Brant raced with number H-26, Imp raced with number H-69.  The boat listed in the Registry is in a garage in Marion, waiting for a restoration.  I don't know the hull number, but I believe it to be the Brant that you refer to.  If I can make contact with the owner, amongst my questions are:  What is the hull number? and What is the sail number?

There is a wealth of information contained within the pages of the Beverly Yacht Club yearbooks. My wife and I have spent many hours extracting the data from them.  I still have quite a bit of work to do entering the data from spreadsheets into the Registry database.