Author Topic: Winch ID  (Read 603 times)

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Winch ID
« on: January 10, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »
I'm new to this forum because I have a winch I think is Herreshoff but I'm having difficulty confirming or identifying.
Can anyone provide insight or guidance on this?

DaveHub

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Winch ID
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 06:18:31 PM »
Hi,

These pages are just lightly tracked.  Another good source for info is the 'Wooden Boat Forum' on Facebook.

Good luck!
Dave

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:31:54 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion, Dave. I appreciate your help.

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
Hm, I'd rather doubt that this winch was made by Herreshoff. May I ask what makes you think that it is Herreshoff? Do you know anything about the history of your winch? Where did it come from.

Your photos are awfully small (only 256 pixels) and it is almost impossible to see anything on them.

What is the barrel's outer diameter at the top?

HMCo made two similar winches. Both were used among others on the S-Class. One is shown on Plan 112-072 with a 3 1/2" diameter at the top (see https://collections.mitmuseum.org/object/hh-5.09368/). The other is a small jib winch with a 2" diameter at the top (see https://collections.mitmuseum.org/object/hh-5.09369/).

But both appear to have not the slotted screw in the center and a different barrel section.

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
The reason I wondered if these winches are Herreshoff is I couldn't find any other winches on the internet of this style, except for Herreshoff. I'm befuddled and really just grasping at any possibility. This site only allows photos with very small amounts of data to be posted (under 128KB per photo)
The dimensions are:
2-3/8" high
2-5/8" top diameter
3" base diameter

HerreshoffHistory

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »
I notice this winch is currently for sale on Ebay, see https://www.ebay.com/itm/164023530911, with a sufficiently large number of photos in high resolution (two of them identical to the tiny ones here) and a description which indicates the winch was made by South Coast... Please don't waste other people's time.

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 02:07:05 AM »
The description absolutely does NOT say the winches are South Coast. The winch HANDLE is marked "South Coast". The winches are unmarked and that's why I'm trying to learn exactly what they are.
As far as the size of my photos:
 THIS site doesn't allow my high res photos to be posted as you can plainly see the restrictions below. which read:
2 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB
It's not necessary for you to be rude.
If your time is valuable, then you might consider using it in a kinder way.

rbgarr

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 03:02:48 AM »
A few thoughts: The winches are very small. It's not clear if they ratchet. Racheting winches or handles rotate the winch clockwise in only one direction and the handle can ratchet counter clockwise while the drum stays locked in one place. That can help winch in llnes more swiftly and/or with more fine control. I'm not aware of any Herreshoff winches that size and style. The drums look like they are tapered which would generally mean they are for halyards, not sheets. Anyone interested party may wish to know more about the specific winch attributes than the particular manufacturer. Good luck with your auction.

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
Thanks for your ideas and help. My winches do ratchet.
 Honestly the only images I can find that look remotely like my winches are from Herreshoff. I've attached a photo found on facebook from a fellow who is restoring his Herreshoff. He recently had this winch custom made.
The caption reads:
"This little winch was designed by Nat Herreshoff in 1909 for general use. It was used on the Fish for the Main Halyard. In 1919 the shaft was enlarged and cast onto the base, for use with the Jib Halyard on the S Boat.
The Drum diameter of this winch is just 1 5/8", and stands 2 3/8" tall."
My winches sound like they're maybe from the 1919 redesign.
My winch doesn't have the nice shape of the one in this photo....but it has the same general appearance. I simply can't find anything else like it on the internet. Sorry for bothering you all on this site with my issue. And thanks for your help.

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 03:08:16 PM »
Welcome KDRUM!  Interesting. 

Have you fully disassembled the winch?  Perhaps you will find more clues. 

In looking at the winch drawings HHistory linked there is a note dated late in 1919 for the 828 Class or what would become the S-Boats.   

Two things to keep in mind:  owners sometimes modify a part when they cannot get the original replacement part, and  sometimes parts were copied.  I'm not saying this isn't Herreshoff, let us know if you confirm it. 

Thanks for bringing the topic forward. 

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
Thanks Charles Barclay~
I'll disassemble one and see what I find.

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
I disassembled one of the winches and found the letter "N" stamped in two places on the base plate (one on either side of the post) and an "N" stamped underneath the winch itself. See attached photos

kdrum

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
one more photo