Author Topic: 12 1/2 planking "issues"  (Read 9007 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
12 1/2 planking "issues"
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
I was reading Waldo Howlands "Concordia years" (again....) and he talks about how they found a major design flaw in the mid 50's with the Concordia’s. Seems A&R used an extraordinarily hard type of Mahogany (African) as planking, and this coupled with the rather extreme chine design of the Concordia's - and possibly "softer" ribs with European oak - created cracked ribs on almost every Concordia. Sisters where the answer, but it was a costly fix for them. I believe they solved the issue with a rib re-design. In the foot note's Howland states that Quincy when building the 12 1/2's for HMCo. had the same issue - the Mahogany planking was causing stress when swelled, and cracked ribs the result....Seems South American Mahogany is "softer" and doesn’t have quite this same issue. I would assume that those with these Quincy boats would need to watch this if not already addressed....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:53:37 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: 12 1/2 planking "issues"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »
Yep ... the mahogany planking has caused numerous problems.  As I recall, the Fisher's Island 23's are mahogany planked with very tight seams.  The frames on these boats are prone to breaking as well.