Poll

Does anyone know where I can find a trailer or set of sails for a BB14? In process of restoring and willing to sell at any stage of resto. Thanks for any input, Best Regards,  Cpt.Kev

Help
0 (0%)
Help
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Buzzard Bay 14 trailer and sails  (Read 6508 times)

Cpt.Kev

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Buzzard Bay 14 trailer and sails
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
Looking for a trailer and set of sails for a Buzzard Bay 14 currently being restored and also for sale at any step of resto. Hopefully will be sailing her out in Casco bay next summer. Any input appreciated, thanks, Cpt Kev

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzard Bay 14 trailer and sails
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
Captain Kev,

Welcome to the Herreshoff Registry.

October is a beautiful time to order sails.  North and Quantum both have significant discounts through Halloween.  This is pretty typical, among other things it builds a backlog of sail orders for the winter for smaller lofts as well.  It's like buying appliances in January.  Now is the time. 

Here in Maine you have a North Loft in Freeport, Eric Baldwin is a prince of a guy; and in Portland you have Carter White running the Quantum loft.  Carter is a top notch J24 sailor.  Both are great guys and easy to work with. 

You can also go to smaller lofts.  I have experience with Hallet Sails and Canvas (Meghan Hallet) in Falmouth, and Stephanie Helms at Gulf of Maine Sailing Systems.  Both will give you individual care and provide quality work. 

If you pm, text or call me at (808)-888-9494 I can give you their emails or phone #.

Trailer's--

The BB14 weighs about 1800# so a 2000-3000 trailer is adequate.  A single wheel/axle is fine for this size boat.

Choose Aluminum (reduced weight) or galvanized steel (less expensive). 

Choose adjustable stands or flat bed trailers (available at Home Depot and the like) if you have a cradle for the boat. 

There is a place in Waldoboro that customizes trailers.  Lots of choices in Maine.  Keep your eyes open for used ones too.  I bought a Venture 1250 from Chasse Marine in Damariscotta this spring, good people. 

Choose your suspension:  torsion (more expensive, softer ride for boat) or spring suspension (more common, easily replaced).  Big tires offer additional cushion. 

The choices comes down to will you be roading the boat frequently or just to and from the haulout facility or ramp to your storage or restoration facility.  Another consideration is do you plan on selling the boat with the trailer. 

If you have a short drive from launch to winter facility a flat bed with a cradle will provide extra flexibility.  If you plan on travelling with the boat or selling it with the trailer get one with the adjustable stands or beds. 

If you plan on launching from a ramp, the boat has a 3.5' depth or thereabouts and the trailer should have a long or extendable tongue. 

Hope that helps.  Call if you have questions.

Charles

Cpt.Kev

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the response, I'm looking for a used trailer right now and maybe a used set of sails if anyone out there might have either, thanks again, best regards, Cpt. Kev

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »
I might try Coastal Boatworks, Chasse etc. for a used trailer.  Even the yards over in Harpswell/Georgetown.