Author Topic: The Search Is On  (Read 51042 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
The Search Is On
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
There is a guy in Mallorca, Spain who wants to find, purchase, restore, and race Istalena.  She is the canoe-stern M-Class designed by LFH and built by HMC as hull #1131 in 1929.  She had a very successful racing career, and apparently disappeared about 20 years ago.  If anyone knows anything about her, please shout out.

-Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Search Is On
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »
I just sent an e-mail to the folks at the "M-Class". Well see what they have to say..... :)

http://www.universalrule.com/

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »
The last owner I know of was William J. Strawbridge - but unsure when or where (he was a NY'er though). He died a while ago (he was an America's Cup Syndicate head in the 60's & 70's). Got to love Google....

Do you have any info as to the last owner? Location?

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
Yep .. same Strawbridge.  He also owned Mitena.  I think he was the "Strawbridge" from "Strawbridge & Clothier".  The guy who is looking for it says it was last seen about 20 years ago in ......  Venezuela.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »
Well Strawbridge is long gone - but his son looks still to be around - and I see his Grandson got married a few years ago. If I can figure out an e-mail contact I'll send a nice note.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:46:45 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
Thanks.  It would be great if we could help this guy out and rescue another boat.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:52:31 AM »
OK - I received a reply from Dave Fladlien of the "M-Class". I'll forward his response under a separate e-mail as its pretty interesting info on the one remaining original "M" he knows of. Seems he doesn't have much more then us on Istalena - but he notes one interesting item - Seems he was contacted a few years back by the "grandson of a former owner" looking for her. My guess is that would be William Strawbridge's Grandson - Geoffrey Tod Strawbridge. I've located a nonprofit organization he seems to be involved with and I'll try to contact him...

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
Update.... Well I've been corresponding with Dave quite a bit - he's a very nice guy. He gave me the contact info for Ron MacAnnan who owns the only known "original" - IE wood - "M" still sailing. Ron has owned her for over 40 years and has tried to locate as many of the "M's" as possible over the years - it sounds like with little luck. Ron is not "on-line" so I will actually have to write a letter (do I even own paper?  ;) ).

Dave also confirmed that the "grandson" that contacted him was not Strawbridge but has no record of who it was - so that may be a dead end. I have sent Geoffrey an e-mail just to be thorough...

Will let everyone know what I find.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
Thanks for your help on this one, Adam.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »
Some of Rosys pics.... Istalena.....

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:20:43 AM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »
I will say this, "Rosie" had a touch.  They are niiiice.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »
Somewhere, in the recesses of my memory, I recall some correspondence between NGH and LFH - I believe on Istalena. NGH somewhat chided him on the design - I think he wasn't as fond of double enders as his son. Which I wonder if it was one of the reasons LHF had most of them built elsewhere...There is also a line drawing profile I have somewhere of Istalena. I'm no NA but to my eye she seemed rather - well - "squat" - in the bilges (is "squat" an official NA term  ;) ). Scow like maybe.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
You can find lots of correspondence between NGH and LFH online at Mystic Seaport.  Maybe that's where you saw it ?

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »
No it was one of my books - but D@^^N if I can remember.... Read it pretty recently too.....Might have been Jones....I'll check later....

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »
Steve - do you know the guy from this issue of WB looking for Istalena?