Author Topic: The Search Is On  (Read 59484 times)

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Search Is On
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
Yep ... he is the guy I am trying to help.  His name is Mark Street, and he is in Mallorca, Spain (poor guy).

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
Yes I too would rather be here in New England in January then the Spanish Med. He dosen't know what he's missing....  ::)

Pat

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
I was reading a nice article about LFH in the #19 ClassicBoat issue.
Page 40 you can find the first picture you post here above, they say printed with the permission of The International Marine Publishing Company of Camden, Maine, USA.
Page 44 they say that LFH tested "new turnbuckles" on Istalena.
What exactly are these turnbuckles? Thanks to help.
A yachting history addict!

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
Pat:  A turnbuckle is the piece of hardware typically used to adjust tension on standing rigging :

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:02:32 PM by Steve »

Pat

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
Oh yes, this is a "ridoir" in french, thanks Steve.
Cant find your website address ...
A yachting history addict!

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:25:56 PM by Steve »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
OK Folks - I heard from Mr MacAnnan - Who sent me a wonderful package of info on his boat Pursuit (thank you!!), as well as a copy of some correspondence he had with Istalena's previous owners Grandson (2005) where he was trying to locate Istalena. His name is Dick Nordberg - I have already sent him off an E-mail...

I will send you a copy of the letter, but here is the meat and potato's :

1. He believes she is no longer in operation
2. In the late 60's and Early 70's she was tied up on the Chicago river in very bad shape (he mentions vagrants were living on her - and someone had died on board).
3. The last owner he knows was a man by the name of David Morrissey (he was a commodities Trader and pilot).
4. Another Gentleman was also searching for her that wanted to buy and re build her - his name was Victor Paul (living in Finland). At the time of writing (2005) he also had no luck locating Istalena. (Note here - There is a Victor Paul who is the current owner of Young Miss the BB30....)
5. She had been re-named SABRE or SABER.
6. Mr. Nordberg also confirmed what we heard - after the great lakes, she went back to NY for a short time, then to South America....

Let you know if I hear anything from Mr. Nordstrom.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:15:56 PM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
Nice work Adam.  Persistence certainly pays off.  I hope we hear back from Mr. Nordberg.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »
I spent some time on the phone with Dick, who was very helpful - this is what we've got....

1. His Grandfather, Bruno Victor Edward Nordberg purchased her in 1938 (I assume from Stockbridge). The family owned her from 1938 to 1949. Great Lakes (Milwaukee area)
2. They sold her in 1949 to Roman Botz who owned her to 1960. Member of the Sheboygan YC. Note here - The SYC has a scale model of her today in their clubhouse. She had a very winning record on the lakes. Note ^2 - He re-rigged her as a Ketch.
3. Botz sold her in 1960 to David Morrissey, who moved her down to Chicago - where by all accounts fell into disrepair. Dicks Father even went to see her there. It appears this is where her name changed to SABRE.
4. This is where the ownership trail kind of ends - He heard she was taken to NY, work was done at one of the yards (Iím guessing late 60's early 70's?) and then to South America.
5. He spoke to Victor Paul some time ago - who was (like Mark) trying to locate her and do a restoration - at last he spoke to him he had not found her. (Victor is from Finland).

Dick did give me Victors Contact info - so I will drop him a note.....Note here - Dick has lots of business contacts in South America - so if we do get some leads there he can possibly help with "boots on the ground" so to speak....VERY nice of him - not only would I like to find her for the Registry, and Marks resto, but Dick certainly has a sentimental attachment.

Steve, can you get some details on the whole South America thing? Who exactly heard she was there? Who actually saw her there? I would like to verify - Note While Dick did hear the same "South America" thing he also heard she was in a real sad state of affairs when she returned to NY - it seems plausible to me that she may never had made it to SA....

One last note - over at WBF someone made note of seeing a for sale ad for her about 20 years ago in Yachting Magazine. Donít have access to Yachting (I assume someone has them on disk or Micro-Fiche....). We shall seeÖ.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
Adam:  I am on my way out for a week's respite from the cold in Florida.  I just sent a note to Mark, as requested,  but I don't know how closely I will be able to follow up until I return.

Thanks for all the leg work!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:26:54 PM by steve »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
Great - Have a good trip....I'm not jealous or anything. Nope. Nice here - work, weather....yep, I'm fine. Really.  ::)

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 04:16:25 AM »
Victor Paul is the driving force behind the BB30 restorations, and he and his partner also own the NY50 Spartan, currently being restored by Ed McClave and Andy Giblin. Victor and the partner each own one of the BB30s. The work on Spartan is magnificent, clearly Victor has the knowledge and resources to want the very best.

I think I heard years ago from someone (Carleton?) that Istalena was up a river in South America.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 04:46:26 AM »
Yep it appears the Victor of the BB30's is our Victor looking for Istalena - I didnt put two and two together at first due to Finland vs ME.....I wonder if he decided to go with Spartan when he couldn't find Istalena? Similar sized and with many of the NY50's later in life being modified to race in the M-Class, it would make some sense....I'll send him a note...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:47:57 AM by Adam »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
Bill:  Do you know when SPARTAN is expected to be ready?  I understand she will be kept in Italy?

b.beardsley

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 03:52:43 AM »
I spent some time on Spartan recently with Andy, He says they want to have some trial sails this fall. There are some rigging and other details that have to be worked out when she's assembled, so that's the purpose. Doesn't sound like she'll be fully commisioned until 2010. I don't know about her going to Italy, but I assume they would do the summer circuit here in the summer of 2010.

On another subject, I sailed on Gamecock at the Rockland WB show a few years ago. A nice guy named Matt Griswold restored her, and we sailed her around so Alison Langley could take pictures. Interestingly, Matt had considered Crusader before buying Gamecock.

I know someone who knows more about Crusader's history. I'll get what I can from her