Author Topic: Queen Mab  (Read 16902 times)

nayeligk

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Mab
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:27:40 AM »
Oh, I am also looking now at a typed page that says "Racing record of the Schooner Yacht Vagrant-Queen Mab 1910-1938". I'll see if I can scan it and post it here, if anyone is interested in looking at it.

RanchoMike

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
My dad sailed on the Queen Mab when when it was owned by Stanley Runyan, who also lived in San Marino.  He sold it in 1954 after they were in a heck of a storm off La Paz.  My dad was on board and told quite a story about it.
In the mid-80's, I was walking the docks in Long Beach and there she was, secure in her slip with strains of Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts" coming from belowdecks.
My understanding was that this was the first, smaller, Vagrant (later Queen Mab) commissioned by Harold Vanderbilt in 1910 and used by him to win the Bermuda Race that year.
Mike

akwhitty

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
My friend George Dixon who passed away on Thanksgiving was the captain of this magnificent ship. He told stories of his all girl crew off the waters of Mexico. He had a picture of the old girl in his old folks home. If anyone has some stories of my friend please share those stories. Thank You, Brian

so. california refugee

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
Hi from Alaska😁,
The Queen Mab was skippered by my friend George Dixon.
George sailed her for a Mexican syndicate. He had a all girl crew. He passed 2 years ago with a picture of his beloved Man hanging on the wall of his care room. Beside it his captian hat. 

robin.sheehan@gmail.com

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
Hi Laurie,
I just picked up on this trail - It's been a long time on the system - while investigating the Queen Mab.  All because of a little tray that has been kicking around in our family for a while...  I have photos - attached.

Who knows if they belong to "your" Queen Mab, or the three mast behemoth that went before!

Do you recognise the tray?

Incidentally, I know that the Queen Mab that used to race with the WASP was built on the Clyde in Scotland in 1892, and registered as the Queen Mab, a Cutter!

Kind regards,

Robin

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
Being a reference to a fairy in Shakespeare play, there have been many Queen Mabs. 

The Herreshoff built schooner was two masted.

robin.sheehan@gmail.com

• Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
Indeed!

Just noticed the script / font on this little tray actually says  "SY Queen Mab".   SY...?    Steam Yacht?

R

Charles Barclay

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »
Possibly, or Sailing Yacht.

Today we use S/V for Sailing vessel and M/V for Motor Vessel.