The Herreshoff Registry

A resource for owners, prospective owners, builders, and aficionados

Detail - Hull 1484

Original Name:Current Name:Frolic
Hull No:1484Home Port:Bristol, RI
Contracted By:Edsel B. FordCurrent Owner(s):Judy F. Newcomb-Gross
Contract Date:5/26/1939Owner Since:
Class:12-1/2 FooterSail Number:15
Original Rig:
Current Rig:Marconi
Original Price: Restored By:George W. Zachorne, Jr. (1991)
LOA:15 ft. 10 in.Maintained By:
LWL:12 ft. 6 in.Notes:
Beam:5 ft. 10 in.
Draft:2 ft. 5 in.
Other Resources:HCR
Gallery / Galleries:

OwnerYearsLocationBoat NameSail No.
Edsel B. Ford    

Owned by the Newcombe’s of Bristol, RI. Original owner was Edsel B. Ford, who sailed it in Maine. It has plywood fore and aft decks that are canvas covered. This boat was completely restored by George W. Zachorne, Jr. in the winter of 1990-91. According to Ms. Newcomb, this boat replaced the original Frolic (Hull #1475) which was lost in the 1950's. The boat is used in the Herreshoff Museum sailing program.

© 2019 The Herreshoff Registry